Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Electrical weirdness........

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 09:45 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Electrical weirdness........

OK – have a couple electrical issues I have been chasing around without much luck

Dash lights/window switches/stereo/hvac/steering wheel controls were not lighting with the lights on when I bought the 2000 TA. Pulled headlight switch and found that the circuit board inside of it was just kind of crumbling away……… replaced the headlight switch and now the steering wheel controls light but nothing else. Have followed the wiring to see if it was disconnected somewhere and what I was able to see looked fine – still gotta follow the rest when I get the time

Also have a problem with the dash gauges not always working – sometimes just the voltage and the oil pressure are working, and the temperature is trying but reading low – when it happens but it does not always do it. Pulled the dash cluster and cleaned up the connections and then it seemed to be fine for a few weeks but it is back now, works about 50% of the time – can start the car and the tach/speedo/gas guage will not be working, turn off the car for a minute or so and then try again and they work?? Running HP Tuners all of the time on the carputer so I do still have gauges Gonna have to pull the cluster again and check the connection…….

Also – occasionally the volts will read less than 13 after the car has warmed up, I have checked and cleaned all of the grounds and power cable connections I could find in the dash area and the engine compartment(including connections to the alternator and the exciter wire), now planning on doing the Big 3(maybe 4) upgrade soon to see if that helps any. Was thinking the battery and/or alternator could be on their way out – but went to local battery shop and both tested OK, still wonder if one or the other is the problem

Anybody have or seen anything similar??

Anybody got wiring schematics of the dash/engine areas????
Old 08-18-2008, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check your fuses, or maybe a relay.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Should have included that I checked all of the fuses I thought could be connected(with a fuse tester too). Relays? which one would be involved and locations??
Old 08-18-2008, 05:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i believe most of the relays are in the fuse compartment in the engine bay, should be one for the cluster, if not it might be a bad cluster, or bad connection to the cluster.