Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default porting my heads

how do i port the heads on my 95 camaro z28
Old 08-18-2008, 02:10 PM
Teching In

You send them to a reputable porter such as Lloyd Elliott, or AI. Porting the heads is not something that you want to do yourself, so get ready to shell out the big bucks.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Guys have seen modest gains doing them at home but guys have also ruined castings doing them at home. Are you willing to risk a set of good cores?? Maybe get a just head of some kind to play with if you really want to try this. At home though I would say do not try and do any major reshaping just focus on cleanup and consistency. Any inconsistency in the ports will just magnify the already incosistent air distribution and IMO this has damaged a lot of engines. We take bank to bank AFR measurement depending on how bad the cylinder to cylinder variance is the lean one on a bank can be lean enough to detonate even though the average AFR for the bank looks fine.
Old 08-18-2008, 03:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

I've heard of people making them worse when there not pretty well schooled on the art of porting so I'd if I were you have a professional do them. Only way to learn is to do it yourself tho, but I would maybe talk to some pro's first so you don't ruin the heads.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Guys have seen modest gains doing them at home but guys have also ruined castings doing them at home. Are you willing to risk a set of good cores?? Maybe get a just head of some kind to play with if you really want to try this. At home though I would say do not try and do any major reshaping just focus on cleanup and consistency. Any inconsistency in the ports will just magnify the already incosistent air distribution and IMO this has damaged a lot of engines. We take bank to bank AFR measurement depending on how bad the cylinder to cylinder variance is the lean one on a bank can be lean enough to detonate even though the average AFR for the bank looks fine.
Well said.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:50 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by camarokinglt1
how do i port the heads on my 95 camaro z28
You should read a lot of books about porting and get a general idea on what most people do as far as clean up. Then get an air grinder and porting kit and have at it. I would suggest taking them to get flowed before you start and then again as you progress through your port work to see how you are doing. It will take A LOT of time, not something you can do in a weekend.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You might want to consider attending Joe Mondello's porting school.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i ported LT1 and LS1 heads and got good results. i got the porting tips from Mike Hankel (Mikey 97 Z28). the porting tips were for LT1 actualy but i applied these tips to LS1 heads and they worked very good. here are the tips :

first you want the intake/exhaust port to have the stock shape that is don't ulter the stock shape of the port.

1- begin at the bowl area you want to keep the bowl gradual with the valve size. then go from the bowl area to the roof side and make them even with each other all the way to the port openning. don't touch the short side radius yet if you haven't installed larger valves (larger than stock valves).

2- if you install larger valves make the short side radius and the bowl even. there will be something like hump on the short side radius and the bowl surface. you have to remove it but be careful to not do it too much just match the hump to the surface of the short side radius and bowl.

3- make the fast wall which is the straighter side of the ports walls ( fast wall and slow wall) make it a straight shot to the valve seat.

4- make the slow wall even with the bowl. don't port it too much it doesn't need that, just a slight port match to the bowl ( make the slow wall even with the bowl)

5- now for the short side radius it doesn't need porting all it needs is slight polishing. if you port the short side radius you will ruin the heads and you will have to get another set of heads.

6- for the port floor just polish it slightly and make it even with the short side radius.

7- port match the intake/exhaust ports to the gaskets.

8- now after port matching the intake/exhaust ports make sure all the fast/slow walls , roof , bowl are inline with the port openning. don't port too much just make sure they are inline by slight porting and polishing.

actualy there is modifications done to the short side radius but i'm not sure exactly how they do it without hurting the port velocity.

remember that you want port velocity more than flow numbers. because port velocity what makes your car quick and fast.

about my self i prefer more port velocity with less flow numbers more than less port velocity and more flow numbers.

i like small ports better than big ports because that what will make your quick and fast.

hope that helps.

Quick Reply: porting my heads