Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C Leak?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 04:59 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Leak?

2 weeks ago I charged my A/C because it wasn't blowing cold anymore. Today when I decided to use it, it wasn't blowing super cold; my drive home from work is ~5 minutes and I had it going at full blast and it didn't seem to cool as much as I hoped. When I have the A/C I notice quick a bit of water dripping from the metal heat guard above the passenger cat and didn't know what to make of it. Any ideas? I don't see any leaks from any hoses or the compressor. However, when I turn the car off with the A/C running I can hear, what sounds like, pressure being released and it stops after 5 seconds. Another thing, after I recharged the A/C the accumulator was pretty chilly to touch; now it barley gets cold.

Any ideas?
Old 08-18-2008, 05:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The water dripping is normal as is the accumulator being cold, and the vacum/pressure noide you hear.. Your best bet is to have some R134a dye shot the system & checked for leaks.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:17 PM
Launching!

The accumulator isn't cold though; there is zero condensation on it. Plus, it sits no where near the heat shield.
Old 08-23-2008, 09:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go and get some refill with the dye in it. Recharge the system and look for leaks that way.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Put some R-134a with dye they sell a uv lite that you can use after a few hours after you put the dye in. Shine the light all around the a/c compressor, dryer, hoses every where that the r-134a runs threw. If you see dye anywhere around the places listed theres your leak. It would be best if you find someone with a r-134a machine that will pull the freon, fix the leak if you have one, pull a vacuum, then recharge the system.