Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Installing plastic tank in my 98 Trans Am

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 02:34 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing plastic tank in my 98 Trans Am

I got a tank from a wrecked 99 camaro and was a litle suprised about all the sheit the tank has on it. i havent gotten into the project yet but i was hoping for a writeup before i dig in. I thought it would be a lot mor self explanatory.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:35 AM
TECH Regular

May I ask why you are doing this? The tank is a PITA to get out even with a lift. I had a 98 and 99 tank next to each other they looked roughly the same shape, but the sending units are different, if you try to use the later tank your gauge will not work, I am not sure if the sending units will simply swap over I know there is a "container" type piece in the 99+ cars, but I am not sure if it was part of the tank or the pump?
Old 08-19-2008, 10:58 AM
On The Tree

I'm putting a moser 9 inch in so it should just drop right out. I am wanting to change tanks becase the 98's are metal and are more of a pain when installing a walbro fuel pump from what i understand. I'm not sure about rust or weight but i think those would be bonuses as well.

You sure my guage wont work? If this is the case then i guess im not swapping tanks.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:17 AM
FormerVendor

The 98 tank is an easier pump swap and yes your gauge will not work without retuning the computer for the 99and up settings. As far as weight it is about the same not worth the hassle in my opinion.

Nate
Old 08-19-2008, 06:14 PM
TECH Regular

I have a racetronix pump in my 98, it went right in with no problem. You need to order a pump for the 98. there is alot of information on the 99+ "container", some people cut the container to add a better pump, this defeats the purpose of the container. You would need to buy a pump that is designed to work with the 99+ tank. As NastyN8 said I think you maybe able to re-tune the computer to make the gauge work, but I had to do this on my 98 when I changed to an 02 computer, it took a bit of trial and error to make it right. I think you would be better off getting a hi-performance unit made for your tank.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:14 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the input guys.
I guess i will stick with my tank.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:39 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I am not sure what everyone is having a problem with, on my 98 Forumla I changed from the metal tank to the plastic tank when I changed the rear end.

The metal tank is at least twice as heavy then the plastic tank and it was a good weight reduction.

I have had no problems what so ever with the fuel guage working. I simply plugged in the wiring the same way I unplugged it from the metal tank and never looked back.

N2
Old 08-25-2008, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah its no big deal swapping tanks, people freak out because they are different sizes, i think they use different values on the sender because of that. The only PITA is the tricks and **** you have to do to slide that metal tank out
Old 08-25-2008, 10:28 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by N2RACINGLS1's
Well I am not sure what everyone is having a problem with, on my 98 Forumla I changed from the metal tank to the plastic tank when I changed the rear end.

The metal tank is at least twice as heavy then the plastic tank and it was a good weight reduction.

I have had no problems what so ever with the fuel guage working. I simply plugged in the wiring the same way I unplugged it from the metal tank and never looked back.

N2
Geez, to swap the 99 + computer into my car I had to reprogram the gauge big time! Change segments, reverse the readings cause the gauge was backwards, and change the amount of fuel capacity to make it read accurate. I would have thought going through that the systems must be completely different. My bad I guess.....sorry

Quick Reply: Installing plastic tank in my 98 Trans Am