C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Camshafts

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 11:10 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Camshafts

Hey guys,
It's time for me to bump up the power in the ole Vette and I am getting frustrated when searching for the "right" cam. I have looked at the Futral F-14, Vengeance Vindicator, and the LG G5X3. I'm looking for a cam that is very streetable but performs well at the track with a choppy idle. Is anyone running any of these cams or the like? Any suggestions?

Thanks for all your help!!
Old 08-19-2008, 11:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

What other mods do you have installed? Is it an A4 or a M6? Stock rear gear?

Any of the sponsors here can help you find the right bumpstick for your application. PM one of them, and pick their brains - that's what they're here for.

If it's a basic stock engine, I wouldn't go too large of a cam. Of course, if you start to dive into the heads and intake, it'll only compound the benefits of the cam selection.

Good luck.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:30 AM
Teching In

I have an LS6 intake, LS6 heads, and full exhaust on an m6 car with stock gear ratio. I have called the companies with the cams that I am interested in and all have had OUTSTANDING customer service however they have a product to sell and I understand that. I'm looking for an unbiased opinion.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:50 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Axlebreaker
I have an LS6 intake, LS6 heads, and full exhaust on an m6 car with stock gear ratio. I have called the companies with the cams that I am interested in and all have had OUTSTANDING customer service however they have a product to sell and I understand that. I'm looking for an unbiased opinion.
Axlebreaker (hope you just made that up and you didn't),
I went with a small 224 cam and a pair of AFR heads...put me at 11.3 in the quarter @ 126 mph..and was a blast to drive on the street. Don't just do like some people and just pick a cam because of the name. Get something proven and right for your setup. You need to decide if your going to just drive on the street, maybe quarter mile once in awhile or maybe road race. Be warned though...once you mod...you can't stop !! So, my advice is to plan that you might mod and push the normal limits a little so you don't waste money. An example is the AFR heads...205 is one of the better setups but I went with the larger 225's incase I changed motors one day. Now they are going on my 402 stroker...instead of selling and having to buy new ones. Just my opinion..and there is a lot of them to go by.

PM sent.

Pitt
Old 08-19-2008, 01:48 PM
Teching In

Thanks Pitt!! The mod bug has bitten and I can't stop. I need to move quick on a cam because there is a pretty big event coming up here and I wanna have my car ready to run.
I did get your pm. Thanks again!!
Old 08-19-2008, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Personally: I would call Comp cams and have them spec you out a cam for what you want. You can be very specific. They will spec out 4 different cams. I would check that out.....Pre-fabed cams are good though....
Old 08-22-2008, 12:22 PM
FormerVendor

I would recommend Ed from Flowtech. He can make you a custom cam to do almost whatever you want and give you some great gains. I've got a blower cam for my Maggie'd GTO that he made for me. Has a nice, lopey idle yet makes some awesome power. The combination of a lopey idle and awesome gains on a blower cam isn't the easiest thing to do and I'd have to say he nailed it for me. Nothing but good stuff has been said about his custom cams.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:58 PM
11 Second Club

What are you looking to do? I personally ran the F14 cam in my Z06 as a street car that was daily driven. I really liked that setup and still compare everything else I do to it. My buddy who got a Z06 bought one with the G5x3 cam in it. He made about 8 more rwhp than I did, but had like 15+ less ftlbs of torque. It all depends on what you want. Those are the only two cams I have experience with in stock cube applications.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are looking at the g5x3, then you should consider the g5x3 version II. Louis created this cam for the individual that wanted more power then the original offered, but didn't want to go as big as the g5x4. Call Anthony @ LGM and ask about it. Their number is in my sig.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Andrew@MarylandSpeed
I would recommend Ed from Flowtech. He can make you a custom cam to do almost whatever you want and give you some great gains. I've got a blower cam for my Maggie'd GTO that he made for me. Has a nice, lopey idle yet makes some awesome power. The combination of a lopey idle and awesome gains on a blower cam isn't the easiest thing to do and I'd have to say he nailed it for me. Nothing but good stuff has been said about his custom cams.
Axle,
Ed Curtis is a friend of mine...he is also a good choice. He Ported the intake on my Silverado and I buy all my parts from him. He and Pete Incaudo are 2 very honest and trust worthy dudes. They both flow test all the stuff they work on and ship out !! If you need Ed's email..let me know. He prefers email to phone calls.
Pitt

Quick Reply: Camshafts