Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Debating which header

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 11:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Debating which header

Is there a difference in track times worth noting between the brands of headers? I was interested in going with the hooker super comp 1 7/8" or Texas Speed 1 7/8"which are both around 700 bucks with y pipe. I was looking at the ARH headers and you can see how much time and that they obviously have some pretty extensive r&d into them but they are about 1200 bucks with ory. I'm sure until I get a bigger ci engine it probably wont even see a difference between the headers since I'm not needing the flow as much as a bigger displacement engine would need but later when I do go bigger will it make that much of a difference in going with ARH compared to the hooker's or the texas speed's?
Old 08-19-2008, 12:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Headers are 15 HP so spending alot makes no sense. Getting big tube headers with little mods also makes no sense.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any longtube header will be fine. they will all make close to the same amount of hp. some might be slightly more. just stay clear from the SLP longtube headers. they offer the worst ground clearance. im running pacesetter longtubes with an off road y pipe and im very satisfied with it.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:52 PM
11 Second Club

you pay for quality and fitment
Old 08-20-2008, 06:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Pay the extra money for ARH.... one of the best purchases for my car to date.

Good luck
Old 08-20-2008, 06:59 PM
Staging Lane

Yup, fit and quality are what jacks up the price. I've never heard of any difference in performance
Old 08-21-2008, 09:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks thats exactly what I needed to know I guess I will see if I can sell my vw and just get what I want which is ARH 1 3/4" stepped to 1 7/8"
Old 08-21-2008, 10:45 AM
On The Tree

If money is not a problem go ARH.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:53 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by schronk
If money is not a problem go ARH.
+1 easy to install is a big +
Old 08-21-2008, 11:02 AM
On The Tree

+1 for ARH. I got a set when they were new on the market and hadn't become popular yet. Mine are the 1 3/4" variety. The built quality is as good as they come, they fit 100% perfectly, and the install couldn't be easier. I have serious OCD when it comes to parts on my cars and I haven't found a single reason to complain about these. Ground clearance even with the catted Y is very good. Yeah, they are a little pricey, but worth every penny. You won't regret buying the ARH.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:36 AM
TECH Addict

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 2002_z28_m6
+1 easy to install is a big +
That was a big selling point for me (easy to install), plus I could have them configured any way I wanted them, and not having to weld in an WBO2 bung myself. All these factors are worth extra money to me. I should have mine in about 10 days.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:55 PM
11 Second Club

if money isnt an issue, id say the kooks 1 3/4 stepped to 1 7/8.....but for the money you cant beat pacesetters
Old 08-22-2008, 06:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Save your money and go with the ARH, fit and install was great. But! whatever you go with make sure they are 304 stainless, anything else is not going to hold up as well or look as good over the lang haul.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by toadzq8
Save your money and go with the ARH, fit and install was great. But! whatever you go with make sure they are 304 stainless, anything else is not going to hold up as well or look as good over the lang haul.
Thats a bit of an oxymoron "save your money and go with arh" lol. How bout save $1000 bucks and get the same performance within a few ponies with pacesetters.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:07 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DeerHunter_Z28
Thats a bit of an oxymoron "save your money and go with arh" lol. How bout save $1000 bucks and get the same performance within a few ponies with pacesetters.
I've been down the coated, non-SS header road before, and everything is great when you first put 'em in, but as the years and miles roll on, you find yourself very disappointed looking in the engine bay and seeing flaked-off coating and rusty-*** headers. It's very disappointing when you try so hard to keep your engine bay looking good. And there's really nothing you can do short of replacing them. You can take 'em off and paint 'em which doesn't hold up, or take 'em off and recoat 'em, but they'll just flake-off and rust again. Very disappointing. JMO.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:34 AM
TECH Addict

And BTW, you do save money getting top quality headers because you won't be replacing them.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:47 AM
FormerVendor

I think he meant "save up your money..."

It all comes down to how much you like your car though when comparing Pacesetter to a better quality header, in my opinion. If you don't care about a coating that's not going to last and how your engine bay looks then there's no reason not to go with Pacesetter. But keep in mind, once that coating flakes off you're no longer insulating the heat of the headers from your engine bay.

Originally Posted by Predator
And BTW, you do save money getting top quality headers because you won't be replacing them.
Exactly. If you on the other hand DO care about how your engine bay looks, want slightly better performance, better header clearance, etc. then you'll save up more money and buy the better product the first time. Otherwise, as someone mentioned above, you'll likely be disappointed in the end. Also, as Predator mentioned, you won't be needing to ever replace the better headers. It's money spent once.

Do what your budget allows, but keep those things in mind when deciding if it's really worth it to buy the $400 headers.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have had the pacesetters and i just recently took them out and put in some 1 7/8 ARH. the pacesetters fit in pretty well. they slid in and didn't hit anything when it was all said and done. the ARH's are a little tighter fitting but then again, they are larger headers too. the only reason i switched is because i wanted stainless. the pacesetters did rust and the car isn't a daily driver and has yet to see the rain since i owned it. however, with washing it and the heat, etc. they will rust a bit. i am sure the power differences are minimal. i wanted a good fit, a good y-pipe, and stainless so i went with ARH.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:17 PM
TECH Addict

Just to add, if I haven't already beaten the horse to death, is that I didn't mean that SS headers are the only option. I had my JBAs for many years and they served me well, and I'm sure that Pacesetters or something similar would too. On the other hand, I know that if in 2002 I had the option of buying ARHs with a catted y-pipe, I wouldn't be replacing headers now. I'd be all set. Just something to think about.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey I have the Pace headers from Maryland Speed which are JetHot coated inside and out. The fit and finish are great, I had them on in almost 2 hours.
Its been about 2 years now and they still look great!
My uncle on the other hand bought Stainless JBA headers for his 05 GT and this is what they look like in the same amount of time! And his is not a daily driver either. He called JBA and they said it is normal you just have to wipe them down or should have them coated! **** you try reaching the headers in a Mustang engine BAY!
Stainless headers.....