Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Remote wire for amp to cut it off

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 06:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote wire for amp to cut it off

My friend helped me set up my sub a while ago. It works... except it doesn't cut off when the car does. The power cable is connected directly to the battery, and the remote wire is spliced to a blue wire of the same color behind the headunit :o I assume it needs to be spliced to a wire that only has power when the car is on ACC or on.... how do I find out which wire I need to splice it with?

My headunit isn't stock btw... sony 5700cdx
Old 08-20-2008, 07:00 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The aftermarket head unit should have a remote turn-on wire that is blue with a white stripe. The plain blue wire is for power antenna control (assuming that your head unit uses standard wire colors).

In the factory harness, if you have a Firebird, you can connect the remote turn-on wire to the power antenna control wire (pink wire in the black connector) - it has power only when the head unit is on. In a Camaro, your only choice would be the accessory power wire (yellow wire in the black connector) - it has power whenever the ignition is on and during RAP operation (after the ignition is off until you open a door).

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 08-20-2008 at 09:26 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-20-2008, 09:17 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
The aftermarket head unit should have a remote turn-on wire that is blue with a white stripe. The plain blue wire is for power antenna control (assuming that your head unit uses standard wire colors).

In the factory harness, if you have a Firebird, you can connect the remote turn-on wire to the power antenna control wire (pink wire in the black connector) - it has power only when the head unit is on. In a Camaro, you're only choice would be the accessory power wire (yellow wire in the black connector) - it has power whenever the ignition is on and during RAP operation (after the ignition is off until you open a door).
The power antenna is a light blue one and labeled thankfully, so I know which one that one is. I have it connected to a blue wire... but idk about a white stripe. I'll check it out and see.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:42 AM
12 Second Club

not all head unit have the white stripe with the blue wire..... but i do know that kenwood head units do

i just recently made that mistake, normally u splice blue to blue... well it was blue to blue white striped
Old 08-20-2008, 12:09 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The EIA standard calls for a blue wire for power antenna control and a blue with white wire for remote turn-on. Kenwood, Pioneer, Alpine, and most other major brands all follow the EIA standard.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
The EIA standard calls for a blue wire for power antenna control and a blue with white wire for remote turn-on. Kenwood, Pioneer, Alpine, and most other major brands all follow the EIA standard.
Thanks man, my (different) friend today was swearing we should just use the red or blue wire but we tried the blue-white wire and it works

Quick Reply: Remote wire for amp to cut it off