Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header clearence question/solution?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 01:56 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header clearence question/solution?

hey guys. i just installed a set of PRC 5.3 stage 2.5 heads and a texas speed 233/239 cam with a set of long tubes and a ORY (wow the car is fast now). my problem is that my car is lowered and i love the way it looks i dont want to raise it up if i dont have to. the header on the passenger side hangs down very low (below the K member) and scrapes the road. we all know dents in LTs dont help power or looks at all so i am throwning around some ideas to help solve this problem. thier is about an inch and a quarter between the top of the header and the floorbord of the car. i was thinking if i would raise the passenger side of the motor about half an inch it would put the header above the k member (keeping it from bottoming out on the header)to do this i was going to make a half inch plate to go under the passenger side motor mount to raise the motor and tilt it a little to the drivers side. it seems like this would solve my problem and still leave enough room between the header and floorbord. will it hurt anything to have the motor half an inch twisted? any other ideas to help solve this problem without raising the car back up a little?
Old 08-21-2008, 02:09 PM
Banned

I'd put metal plate on both sides to make things even. Then you run the risk of screwing up the driveline angle way back at the tail of the transmission.
So you might end up raising the transmission up also.
All for 1/2" seems a bit ridiculous.
I'd be more inclined to take that 1/2" steel and make a small skid plate.
Old 08-21-2008, 02:57 PM
TECH Resident

Loosen the PS header bolts and see if it gives room to raise the collector up towards the bottom of the car, then snug the bolts back down.
You can usually catch some extra clearance doing it this way.