Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looks weird, but it'll work!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 10:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Looks weird, but it'll work!!!!

One of my buddies had a cheater kit laying around that he offered up for me to borrow till I get the money together to get a kit, so I started putting it on and of course the air cleaner wouldn't clear the windshield anymore with the plate on it, so I started trying to think of ways to make it work and this is all I could come up with:

Had to use about 4" worth of air cleaner risers, haha!!! Thank god I bought the hood that I did, figured it would come in handy!!!!

Anyways, i'll keep you guys posted on how she runs, the kit is only good to a 250 shot, and that's what I got in there, should have some times within a couple weeks, our local strip is still down for renovations, so I gotta try and make time to get to another track!
Old 08-21-2008, 10:05 PM
TECH Resident

is that an L92 head setup? i really like the accufab 4 barrel tb
Old 08-22-2008, 05:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by firefighting1101
is that an L92 head setup? i really like the accufab 4 barrel tb
No, they're TEA 5.3 heads.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:03 AM
FormerVendor

lol looks like you got a smoke stack coming out of your engine
Old 08-22-2008, 08:46 AM
10 Second Club

Here's a few options for you that look a little better:

small air cleaner just go with the 6 1/2" version

velocity stack

Pro-Flo type
Old 08-22-2008, 10:00 AM
8 second mod

looks ok, that carb spacer will pick you up a bit on top. give you a little more rev

can i rocomend putting the plate ontop of the carb spacer, it will give better distribution
Old 08-22-2008, 12:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wilson carries and produces, IIRC, carb spacers up to 3" or more. You could go this route and do some some plenum tuning at the same time. Opening up the plenum volume would give you more room up top if ya need it? Then you could at least minimize the amount of air cleaner spacers. I wish i could find something similar that would work with the fly by wire.
Robert
Old 08-22-2008, 03:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Noyzee
looks ok, that carb spacer will pick you up a bit on top. give you a little more rev

can i rocomend putting the plate ontop of the carb spacer, it will give better distribution
I had to put the spacer on to space out between the plate and the accufab b/c I couldn't get the fitting on on the backside cuz of the fitting coming out of the back of the throttle body feeding vacuum to my brake booster, otherwise I wasn't even going to put a spacer on, is it going to cause a problem? I guess I could always get another set of longer studs again and another spacer to put under it if it will.
Old 08-22-2008, 04:45 PM
8 second mod

Originally Posted by Loudmouth LS1
I had to put the spacer on to space out between the plate and the accufab b/c I couldn't get the fitting on on the backside cuz of the fitting coming out of the back of the throttle body feeding vacuum to my brake booster, otherwise I wasn't even going to put a spacer on, is it going to cause a problem? I guess I could always get another set of longer studs again and another spacer to put under it if it will.
IT WILL WORK THERE, BUT IT WOULD BE BETTER OVER THE SPACER RATHER THEN UNDER
Old 08-22-2008, 08:54 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why are you yelling?

Hurry up and get some track times out of that bitch!
Old 08-23-2008, 05:08 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike@HSW
lol looks like you got a smoke stack coming out of your engine
Haha
Old 08-24-2008, 02:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Well, I tested it out tonight and it felt really good!!!! Made a few hits, cut the motor and pulled the plugs. I seem to still be having a problem with the same two cylinders I hurt before, a couple buddies said I may have a flaw in the head that's causing it to distribute unevenly, 1 and 5 are too lean, those are the plugs that i've always burned whenever I burn a plug and the two cylinders that got hurt the last time I burned plugs. All the other plugs look good. Here's the other weird thing, the wideband is showing me 9.1 a/f ratio, but there is no hint of rich on the plugs, they were all good except 1 and 5 which were too lean! Not really sure what to do now, i'm gonna try a few things and try and get to the track so I can take some time and do some tuning, it's hard to try and hit it on the street and cut the motor and pull over and check plugs, scared of cops ******* with me even though it's super late at night when I do that ****, had one drive through where I was pulled over tonight and he asked us what we were doing there and we just told him we were trying to fix the car, would probably be gone in 20 minutes and he was being a dick and giving us an attitude.

I guess worst case scenario if I can't figure out what's causing 1 and 5 to be lean, i'll just get a direct port so I can fatten them up more than the rest of the motor.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:07 PM
TECH Regular

Well you most likly will not have that problem with the direct port at all.. you might be distributing more nitrous into those cylinders and not in the others.. direct port will cure all your problems.
Old 08-24-2008, 03:55 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Loudmouth LS1
Well, I tested it out tonight and it felt really good!!!! Made a few hits, cut the motor and pulled the plugs. I seem to still be having a problem with the same two cylinders I hurt before, a couple buddies said I may have a flaw in the head that's causing it to distribute unevenly, 1 and 5 are too lean, those are the plugs that i've always burned whenever I burn a plug and the two cylinders that got hurt the last time I burned plugs. All the other plugs look good. Here's the other weird thing, the wideband is showing me 9.1 a/f ratio, but there is no hint of rich on the plugs, they were all good except 1 and 5 which were too lean! Not really sure what to do now, i'm gonna try a few things and try and get to the track so I can take some time and do some tuning, it's hard to try and hit it on the street and cut the motor and pull over and check plugs, scared of cops ******* with me even though it's super late at night when I do that ****, had one drive through where I was pulled over tonight and he asked us what we were doing there and we just told him we were trying to fix the car, would probably be gone in 20 minutes and he was being a dick and giving us an attitude.

I guess worst case scenario if I can't figure out what's causing 1 and 5 to be lean, i'll just get a direct port so I can fatten them up more than the rest of the motor.
I've had to spread both 22 and 23 fuel jets in my direct port for the same reason. Numbers 4 and 6 were lean as hell compared to the rest of the cylinders.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:09 PM
9 Second Club

You need to have someone flow your N20 kit.

Send them your kit and your intake and they can fix your dist. problems.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:11 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by myfast70
Here's a few options for you that look a little better:

small air cleaner just go with the 6 1/2" version

velocity stack

Pro-Flo type
those filters wont flow like a 14".
that edelbrock is the worst out of all of them.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 87Lt1Monte
Well you most likly will not have that problem with the direct port at all.. you might be distributing more nitrous into those cylinders and not in the others.. direct port will cure all your problems.
I'm just worried if there's a bigger problem that needs to be addressed that could be harming something, it's the same two cylinders as before, and I now have a gmpp carb style intake that should not have any distribution problems. I hope not, but if there is a problem, i'd like to fix it instead of just trying to bandaid it.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ATVracr
You need to have someone flow your N20 kit.

Send them your kit and your intake and they can fix your dist. problems.
This isn't my kit, I borrowed this from a buddy till I get mine just to have a little something to play with. I'm just worrying if there is some other underlying problem that's causing this that needs to be addressed, I don't want to hurt the motor again cuz of something stupid, but I dunno what it could be. I just find it weird that it's the same two cylinders as before with the fast 90 also, it's making me think there's something wrong somewhere either in the head or the cylinders or something that's causing it. I'm gonna make some motor hits and pull plugs and see if it's having a problem on motor as well in those two cylinders, if it is, then there's gotta be something goin on.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:14 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TJ
those filters wont flow like a 14".
that edelbrock is the worst out of all of them.
Agreed, but just giving options that all.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:53 AM
8 second mod

do motor hits. see what it looks like. did you reuse old fuel injectors? did you put them back in the same place as befor?

i cracked a pistion a few years back. i had a bad fuel injector. it was 30% lower then my lowest injector and with the direct port, it didnt matter. it was to late. also as mentioned. flow it. we flowed mine and found it was way way off, so we redid a few things, now its spot on.

thats another reason tp put it above the spacer. this gives it more distribution. it will inject it into the plenum of the intake, and no matter what the cylender will pull in only what it will use. its safer then DP in my opinion, because if you have an issue with 1 cylender it wont be getting fuel and N2O jammed into it, like with a direct port.

sounds to me however your not getting the distribution to the front/rear, everything is dumping into your side runners