Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How restrictive is Borla?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 09:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How restrictive is Borla?

I can't deal with it with a big hole in the flange, so my homemade plate with 3 holes drilled in it is too quiet and I'm wondering if it is sucking the power away. I have Magnaflow 59959 cats too, and it's still too loud. I'd like something that sounds great with these cats and knowing I have heads/cam set up. Seems quite a few love Hooker, I had Magnaflow and didn't like the tone etc. I've been hooked on Borla for my last 4 Fbodys mainly because of the tips and sound adjustability, but now I'm getting old and loud is out. I'm also not into spending $600 plus for a catback, it's insane. Is there anything that compares to Hooker for sound, price, and the cool tips?
Old 08-22-2008, 09:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

if your looking for a cheap and quiet catback, hooker would do it for ya. if you've got cats, i'd run a gmmg, but thats going to be louder than the borla.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:53 AM
TECH Resident

the only thing i dont like about the borla system is the muffler is only on 1 tailpipe. i dont like how its designed. Borla makes a different catback for ls1 f-bodys that is a crossflow design muffler wich imo would sound very nice. No one runs that catback on here and you cannot find any clips of it.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.borla.com/applications/lo...System/140028/

is this the one your talking about, andrew69_04?
Old 08-22-2008, 03:28 PM
TECH Addict

Well, it has the flange welded in just before the turn into the muffler and the passenger side tail pipe comes out of that flange. When I have the big ol' 2.5" hole plate installed, it might as well be any frickin muffler catback as most of the exhaust goes through the passenger tail. When you put the more restrictive/smaller diameter plates in, more goes through the muffler. To me, it FEELS slower, but I know we often equate quieter to slower.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:55 PM
12 Second Club

yup! to make it quiter you'll loose power cause all your going to do is restrict exhaust flow. so expect to loose some HP/tq. on the other hand you can probably get some factory header exhaust manifold. dont know how well the stock exh.manifold from these ls motors flow but maybe a little porting will work and you can still keep all your after market exhust.
Old 08-22-2008, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you do not have to lose power to make your exhaust quieter. Also if i were you i would add a powerstick to your i pipe and that should quiet it down withoud adding restriction and it will keep a good sound.
Old 08-30-2008, 08:02 AM
12 Second Club

Received 182 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by andrew69_04
the only thing i dont like about the borla system is the muffler is only on 1 tailpipe. i dont like how its designed. Borla makes a different catback for ls1 f-bodys that is a crossflow design muffler wich imo would sound very nice. No one runs that catback on here and you cannot find any clips of it.
I am actually running this exhaust and i have header and cat y pipe and the car sounds good NO rasp at all. I has a very nice tone. The car is not very loud until when u get on it but its not overwelming. It sounds good. I like it but i wish i would be alittle louder. I have not seen anyone else running this catback so.
Old 08-31-2008, 01:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I have a Borla and closed up it is very quiet. You can see straight thru the muffler so I can't see how it could be restrictive at all.
Old 09-01-2008, 06:11 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Redlinez
Well, it has the flange welded in just before the turn into the muffler and the passenger side tail pipe comes out of that flange. When I have the big ol' 2.5" hole plate installed, it might as well be any frickin muffler catback as most of the exhaust goes through the passenger tail. When you put the more restrictive/smaller diameter plates in, more goes through the muffler. To me, it FEELS slower, but I know we often equate quieter to slower.
The loss in HP/TQ if any is very minimal...the plates are more to divert the flow not restrict it.
I agree that when we make changes on our cars we alway's feel the seat of the pants mod...
Old 09-01-2008, 07:12 AM
Staging Lane

put a mccord power plate in place of the borla plate. then you can adjust the sound/flow easily from inside the car.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

My old H/C car only lost 6rwhp going through the Borla muffler. It's a damn good muffler. I had a QTP electric cutout installed where the plates would go. I usually only opened it when racing.

Quick Reply: How restrictive is Borla?