Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

APS TT Cam?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 09:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default APS TT Cam?

I currently have a cam with the following specs installed. The heads and bottom end are stock.
540/550 214/218 114

How would this cam work with the APS TT kit?

How much more Hp/Tq would I get with a better cam? Would it be worth the effort?

Which cam/specs?
Old 08-22-2008, 10:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are a lot of threads on this. And the opinions flow freely. We have guys that like all the variations.Some like normal split, some reverse split ,some no split. Some like low lsas,some high lsas some high lift some lower lift.

I think its mostly important to choose a cam based on what you want from the cam.
And realize that FI can make good power with just about any cam. You might get a bit more here and there but there are other factors.

Example.Go up too high on lift over 600 is pretty high and you will likely be changing out valve springs very often, a big pain in the butt on fourth gens. Heard various estimates of like 10,000 to 20,000 miles depending on the cam and lift.
This was one reason I went with a not that high lift cam. My cam is lingenfelter gt7. I added some 1.8 yella terras to get just a bit more out of it. Still think I will be ok on the valve changing thing as for sure want to get 50,000 miles between spring changes.
That would be about 10 years driving for me.Car is not a daily driver.

Also my picked cam is pretty reasonable for duration. And its got a very high lsa so is not going to have much lope and will be easy to tune with no surging ,really peaky powerband..
Lingenfelter runs this cam in most all their turbo builds. And figure they know a thing or two about turbocharging and streetable turbo setups.

APS used the gt11 in their test mule and it made great power but its pretty darn high lift and expect to do springs. Its got pretty high lsa so still good idle and bit more duration than the gt7 ,its more aggressive for sure. How much extra hp over say the gt7 not sure.

Your cam will be ok maybe not optimal but as said the jury is kind of still out on what optimal is.

They really need to test various theories in high tech performance or something on the dyno. Test different splits, test different lifts and lsas.
At least cams are not too hard to change on ls1 f bodies so if hate my choice well just change it.
I am trying to see 800 to 850rwhp from my build and depending on which trans I stick with. Might go auto. But if fall a bit short have nitrous to make up some of it. Not afraid to add a 50 to maybe 100 shot if need be.
I have a 408 though also and the bigger the engine the more wilder cam you can run.