Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LT1 into 2nd Gen F-Body (automatic V6) question

Old 08-22-2008, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 into 2nd Gen F-Body (automatic V6) question

I'm gearing up for a lt1 swap into my 78 automatic V6 firebird. I realize that this is an LS* engine forum, but I haven't found a forum as active as this one that relates to LT's. I've done quite a bit of research, and have gathered alot of information. I still have a few items that I haven't found answers for, so I'd love some input if anyone has any.

The donor engine:
A 4l60e & lt1 from a 94-97 camaro or firebird. Want manual, but the conversion probably will add too much complexity to the project, so I'm going to stay auto.

Fitting into 2nd gen f-body should bolt right in except for:

* Need motor mounts from 78 fbody. (classic industries)
* Drive shaft will need to be cut to fit. (will find local)
* A/C will either need to be deleted or relocated.

Electronics

* Will send stock wiring harness and PCM to http://www.lt1350.com/ to have harness cleaned up and pcm reprogrammed. Detailed diagrams to reconnect harness included.

Fuel System

* Purchase rock valley pump ($300).
* Weld pump into tank (will find local).
* Install braided lines:
o 3/18 inch fuel line (GM PN 9439238)
o 5/16-inch fuel line (PN 9439550) for return line
o '88-'92 Celebrity high-pressure fuel filte, this is same as vapor canister right?

Going to swap disk brake from donor car, using BRP Hotrods brake kit. $39.

Misc unanswered questions

* Power steering will connect fine, right?
* Can I use radiator from donor car (92-97 f body)?
* Do I need a new speedometer with the 4l60E?
o I have a v6, which has a limited instrument panel. What are my options to get a tach / voltage / temp gauge without bastardizing my dash? That is, I want it to be tidy and look natural, it doesn't have to be original.
* I really don't know what to do about exhaust. What can I use off the donor car? Will I have to fit the entire system from a donor to my f-body?
* Can the existing rear end handle this drivetrain? Do I need to upgrade anything? If so, what would the primary thing(s) to upgrade?

I'm really looking forward to this swap, every time I try to make a left turn on a busy street, or fill up my tank, I think about how bad I want an LT1 in my car. V6 has 108HP, pathetic!
Old 08-22-2008, 11:43 PM
Launching!

You can use autometer gauges in your dash. I used 5" tach and electronic speedo 2 1/16" fuel, oil pressure, trans temp, water temp and volts. I used a red led light for the MIL, orange for brights and 2 green ones for the turn signals. The computer will have outputs for the speedo and tach. Send me your email and I can send you pictures of it.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

If you want a manual, why settle for an auto? Your worried about complexity and your doing a juel injected swap? The tranny swap is the easy part. I just finished a ls1/t56 swap in my 79. Not that hard. Not trying to be a jerk, but why a lt1? Find yourself a 5.3 and put a t56 behind it.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by nobreaks254
If you want a manual, why settle for an auto? Your worried about complexity and your doing a juel injected swap? The tranny swap is the easy part. I just finished a ls1/t56 swap in my 79. Not that hard. Not trying to be a jerk, but why a lt1? Find yourself a 5.3 and put a t56 behind it.
LT1, because I can find one for $1k, it gives me 300hp, and decent gas mileage. With the automatic to manual conversion, I'm not even sure I have room for the clutch pedal. As far as complexity, the harness is the hardest part, and I'm going to pay to have that trimmed and sent back with detailed instructions on how to reconnect it. Like I said, I'm kind of a newb, so adding the auto to manual tranny conversion seems like it might be enough to both put the project over my budget, and also make it just too difficult for me. By all means, I'm open to suggestions on how to do this.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:49 PM
Teching In

congrats on your efforts! i would do an lsx on my daughters 76 but its a nice t/a and i want to keep it pontiac powered a 700r4, lt or ls brakes and rear would be nice tho!
Old 12-28-2008, 08:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

-The Power steering no problem. The ends on the pressure hose are different, just take both hoses to a hydraulic shop and they can make up what you need for cheap.
-The rear in you car is a 8.5" 10 bolt, it's stronger than the 7.5" 10 bolt that is stock in the 93-02 F-body.
-I would try to use the radiator from the donnor for ease of install, but if it won't go in easy just use a 2nd gen V8 radiator and fish through you local auto parts store hose inventory till you find the right shapped hoses.
-Your current speedo is cable driven and won't work with the 4L60E. You could convert the trans to cable drive but since you are going A4 the PCM needs this sensor to shift right. There are companies that make cable drive units that will run your speedo of the output of the A4 speed sensor, but they cost a fortune and you would still be stick with crapy stock gauges. My choice would be to replace the gauge package with tastfull looking aftermarket gauges(I like VDO).
-Your local exhaust shop cam make you up an exhaust system. Just buy a set of Pacesetter LTs and some universal cats (Ifyou need them) and they will do the rest.

Good luck. Don't let anyone tell you the LT1 is inferior. Before my swap the one in my 94 ran 12.90s with just full exhaust and a CAI.

Re'

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LT1 into 2nd Gen F-Body (automatic V6) question