Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Adding a amp to stock system

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 01:27 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding a amp to stock system

Is it possible to add the stock monsoon amp to a car that doesn't already have it with out doing any sort of modifications to the wiring harness.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:38 AM
TECH Resident

yes, it is possible but maybe not worth it. You would also have to match the speakers to the monsoon amp since it has contains the filters/crossovers. Take speaker outputs from headunit and run them to the amp, amp outputs to the various speakers. If it is a camaro amp, components in the front, midbass drivers in the sails and full range tiny speakers in the hatch.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:54 AM
Staging Lane

So a monsoon amp wouldn't work with my stock speakers?
Old 08-23-2008, 02:42 AM
Banned

definitely not worth it.... and i seriously doubt it'll match your speakers also the trans am and camaro have some variances fyi
Old 08-23-2008, 02:42 AM
TECH Resident

it will work but might not sound good, what are the stock speakers. Say you have coaxials in the front and sail panels, you may be able to wire the fronts up as components but when you hook the amp to the sail panel coaxials the tweeters will basically be useless because that location only gets low frequencies, but then again you could wire the rear coaxials to the amp output that normally goes to the rear hatch speakers because that is a full range output.
You could try to pick up some cheap used monsoon speakers if you want to do a complete cheap conversion.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:31 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't go that route. An aftermarket amp would be a much better choice over trying to integrate the stock Monsoon into a car that doesn't have it already. Even an inexpensive 4-channel amp would do fine.
Are you sure your car doesn't have the Monsoon in it? Alot of V-6 cars built after 98 were equipped with the Monsoon.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:25 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by KEE AUDIO
I wouldn't go that route. An aftermarket amp would be a much better choice over trying to integrate the stock Monsoon into a car that doesn't have it already. Even an inexpensive 4-channel amp would do fine.
Are you sure your car doesn't have the Monsoon in it? Alot of V-6 cars built after 98 were equipped with the Monsoon.
I don't think my car has the monsoon system but I'm not a %100 sure, what is the best way on finding out if i have one. And I was just thinkin of addin a monsoon amp to my car just as a cheap temporary upgrade until I get enough money to put a good amp and some subs in my car.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:23 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The easiest way to check is to see if you have hatch area speakers - only the Monsoon system came with hatch speakers. You can check for the Monsoon amp under the right hatch trim panel in front of the spare tire or just check the door label for option code UZ7.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:08 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
The easiest way to check is to see if you have hatch area speakers - only the Monsoon system came with hatch speakers. You can check for the Monsoon amp under the right hatch trim panel in front of the spare tire or just check the door label for option code UZ7.
I have hatch speakers I'll check tommorow for the code.