Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Upgrade from LS1 stock = Truly worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 09:16 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Upgrade from LS1 stock = Truly worth it?

I'm hearing that the c5 brake conversion isn't as great as some claim...

My car is going to be seeing a decent amount of road course and I go to the 1/4 about three times a month...

I am looking for a decent size brake kit to fit under my 17" wheels with 4 piston front and 2 piston rear calipers...

Not trying to spend wilwood prices either, does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks for your expertise!

Matt
Old 08-23-2008, 10:45 AM
TECH Junkie

I guess it all depends on what you want to do. I believe most people who claim that are autoxing or daily driving. I think the kicker for the c5 kit is for people who like either looks, or want increased heat capacity. I think in your case it is truely worth it since you'll be repeatedly slowing down from 100+ mph.

If you decide to go with the c5 conversion, I'd recommend a good strong conversion bracket that will take the abuse of road racing. I'd personally go with the Trackbrackets as they've gone through a lot of testing and re-engineering over the years

I autox so stock brakes are sufficient for me.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:23 AM
Banned

My SS has the UMI C5 conversion kit.
Since the car was new it has warped the stock rotors about 5 times in 40,000 miles.
I've had the C5 kit on for 10,000 miles now and had no problems, it brakes way better also.

My Z28 is basically the same car, similiar options, it was a drag car so it's been lightened.
If I forget which one I'm driving I can get into a few surprises because it doesn't stop near as well as the SS with the C5 brakes.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:39 AM
12 Second Club

Default specs

What are the specs on the c5 brakes (front and back) compared to the stock F-body brakes?
Old 08-23-2008, 11:51 AM
TECH Resident

waste of money. take some weight off your car, that would be better.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The C5 brakes aren't a huge upgrade over stock LS1 brakes,1 inch bigger rotors (does help) but they are 2 piston calipers just like the LS1's, smaller actually (slightly), but the rotors are directional to disappate heat better. They do look pimpin though.

I say go with a very good set of rotors and some really nice hawk pads and you'll be more than satisfied with your LS1 brakes. Are the C5 brakes worth 700ish dollars? Only you could answer that
Old 08-23-2008, 01:48 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by chavez885
The C5 brakes aren't a huge upgrade over stock LS1 brakes,1 inch bigger rotors (does help) but they are 2 piston calipers just like the LS1's, smaller actually (slightly), but the rotors are directional to disappate heat better. They do look pimpin though.

I say go with a very good set of rotors and some really nice hawk pads and you'll be more than satisfied with your LS1 brakes. Are the C5 brakes worth 700ish dollars? Only you could answer that
x2 there just not worth the money, i can send someone through the windshield with my slotted rotors and hawk pads.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:48 PM
TECH Junkie

another huge benefit of the C5 conversion is how much cheaper rotors and pads are over f-body stuff. $30 rotors vs $80. the c5 calipers also resist spreading more than the f-body calipers.

we went ahead and did the c5 conversion on the SS and i love them. have the trackbrackets, gorgeous pieces. billet al. these things arent goin to break or warp. ive seen pics of competitors and i just don't trust most of the other designs
Old 08-23-2008, 02:36 PM
12 Second Club

thanks for the responses guys,

Sounds like i might keep my LS1's til I have the money for a big brake kit.

Now for rotors, has anyone had any experience with the BSI Cryo engineered rotors?
Old 08-23-2008, 04:32 PM
Sex On Wheels

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I'd say it'd be worth it. I just picked up a set so time will tell. The 1in increase in rotor size alone will help with overheating. Calipers while they are very similar are pressure case as opposed to gravity cast. They are less likely to spread which you will see with the ls1 rotors with a few good trackdays behind them. Cheaper rotors and parts are a plus as well. Even with good pads on the ls1 brakes you will run into problems. I say C5 swap, and good cooling duct work to keep the heat down and you will be fine. As far as bigger brakes than that. I've heard not many good things about the wilwoods as the pad selection is poor and prices are high. Baer and Brembo are ok, and from what I've heard Stoptech is the way to go. All high dollar however and unless you plan on a crazy tire/suspension setup the C5's will do the trick!

This is all my opinion so as I always say spend the money you have the way you want. I will try and let you guys know how the C5's work for me after my track day this Sept 20th!

William
Old 08-23-2008, 05:23 PM
TECH Addict

I think I was the perfect customer for the C5 brake upgrade. I don't race my car, and the extra weight doesn't bother me. I'm not ashamed to admit either that I had grown tired of my stock painted calipers and trying to keep them looking good, so the C5 brakes gave me a look that makes me happy.

With that being said, and I'm no braking expert, I do notice an improvement in stopping ability, which to me was a bonus. I didn't have a problem with the stock brakes stopping power either. So, I'm very very happy with 'em. They were exactly what I was looking for.

Quick Reply: Upgrade from LS1 stock = Truly worth it?