PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Couple Knock Sensor Questions

Old 08-23-2008, 06:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Couple Knock Sensor Questions

I've been throwing an SES light for Bank 1 Knock Sensor code. I did have a plug wire that had touched the header and melted the insulation just a tiny bit (fixed). I'm going to pull the intake and replace the seals and check out the knock sensors Monday, regardless of whether it throws the code again (already have the gaskets, and figured I might as well since I've never pulled the intake off before)

First question: Is there a way to test a KS to see if it's actually bad?

Second: When I went to look for a knock sensor there were two listed, one with a "locating tab", and one without. How would I tell which one I need?

Any help is much appreciated,
Jim
Old 08-23-2008, 09:01 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo98z
First question: Is there a way to test a KS to see if it's actually bad?
You can ohm them out. Do a search using the DTC and you'll probably find it, tells you how to check them.
But I bet you get them out and you find them rusted bad.
GM put out a TSB that says to seal the boots with silicone after putting new sensors in. Water gets in the wells where the sensors are, especially if you wash the engine, even once.

When I got the code for the front sensor I just ordered two sensors and the wiring harness. And a set of intake gaskets.

It's not worth pulling the intake for one sensor, and it's definatly not worth pulling it to look at them. If one threw a code it's bad, and theres no sense in changing just the one.

Search this Thread