Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Stock LCA bushings??

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 12:57 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stock LCA bushings??

I have a nasty squeak from under/rear of the car, still havent figured out what is causing it. anyway while lubing the endlinks I was checking out the bushings on the stock LCA's and they are dry and brittle. Are these supposed to be lubricated, should I replace them and if so where do I get new ones?

Another question is I have a 12 bolt moser on there and a set of LCA weld on relocation brackets sitting in my basement. I never had them installed. If I decide to install them since the car is a lot lower now, what LCA's should I get? Will I need to get adjustables?

thanks in advance,

Sam
Old 08-24-2008, 02:39 PM
On The Tree

I would say its time for a LCA upgrade. I think the only place to get stock bushings is from the dealer and that might be pretty expensive. You shouldnt have to get adjustable LCA's for relocation brackets.
Old 08-24-2008, 02:49 PM
TECH Addict

i've read you can find new ones at advance auto or maybe even autozone. they're made of a firmer rubber so they should be a slight improvement over stock.

i would definitely recommend putting those brackets on and getting some new lower control arms though. i got them and they made a nice difference on an almost completely stock car. i would recommend adjustables since they don't bind in corners but almost all of them make lots of noise though so it really wouldn't solve your problem. there's a few sets that are supposed to be quieter but i don't know off hand which they are.

mine are non-adjustable and they helped a ton in a straight line but now i'm getting into autox and lowering my car(on some of the parts you sold me actually) so now i'm thinking i might have to switch over to some adjustables.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

A great option that is pretty cheap is to simply replace the stock bushings. Most aftermarket arms will cause either handling issues or noise and will require more maintenance than the stockers. Go to your local parts store and order the Moog bushings for the stock rear LCA's. Unlike the stock bushings they are solid, not star shaped. They are also made using a harder rubber. What this means to you is less deflection for hard launches which will help decrease wheel hop while still allowing for articulation when you are cornering. The moogs are very similar to the 1LE bushings, I'm not sure if the late model SS/WS6 cars came with that or not from the factory but it may be time to look into replacing them. I personally find relocation brackets useless for handling but for the 1/4 mile they do offer some advantages, and since you have a 12 bolt I assume you visit the track fairly regularly.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:08 AM
Launching!

I do both, the track and enjoy the handling on the street. I may go with the new bushings but also have the relocation brackets welded on.

I am still considering the after market LCA's. I was looking for people that have the 12 bolt and have done the relocation brackets, what LCA's are they using and what do they think of them?
Old 08-25-2008, 07:20 AM
Launching!

I never replaced the bushings before, do you need to have them done somewhere or just swap them?
Old 08-25-2008, 12:29 PM
TECH Addict

you can do it yourself using a vice or a jack along with a bunch of dead weight(i.e. a car).

put some blocks on either side of the stock bushing on one side, and line up a large socket with it on the other, then use the jack or vice to push it through. then use whichever device to push the new one into place.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:32 AM
Launching!

Default LCA brackets and adjustable TQ arms installed

Looks good..Havent taken it to the track yet to see how much better it feels launching...
Attached Thumbnails Stock LCA bushings??-lower-control-arm.jpg   Stock LCA bushings??-lower-control-arm-2.jpg  
Old 09-15-2008, 12:47 PM
Launching!

my bad, I meant adjustable LCA's.

Quick Reply: Stock LCA bushings??