Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

rear end

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 05:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default rear end

guys i got a problem. I took my 98 ss camaro to the tire shop to get some new tires. I previously had a set of corvette rims on the car, 17s on the front 18s on the back. So i dropped the car off to get my original 17 inch ss rims put on all the way round the car. When I picked the car up from the tire shop I drove about a mile away and heard a loud clank noise. I thought it was something in the street so I did'nt pay it any mind. So when i had to stop at the stop sign my car just stalled on me. It was'nt moving in drive and when i put it in reverse it made a grinding clanging noise. Me and some more guys pushed it in the parking lot and I went to get a tow truck. When I got back with the tow truck I noticed a puddle of fluid directly under the rear of the car. What should I do should I rebuild the rear end or can it be something more simple than that. I have a stock rear end with 3.23 gears so what parts do I have to buy to totally rebuild the rear end
Old 08-24-2008, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First you have to see whats wrong. Did they use a jack to lift the rear, if placed improperly it can bend the bottom of the cover and the fluid can leak out, no lubrication can lead to the rear going out but it doesnt sound like you went very far.