LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 07:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any suggestions?

Just recently, my car tends to not shift on time when shifting from 2nd to 3rd. My car is tuned to shift at 6500 RPM. It happens when I go WOT. Just yesterday, I floored it and it stayed at 6k RPM and it would not shift. I doubt the tranny is slipping, it does not feel like that.

Earlier on the FWY, I floored it while cruising at 2k RPM (70 mph) and it rev'd up to 5500 RPM and it the needle kinda like bounced a little back and forward. The engine made a weird sound when this occured. Any suggestions?
Old 08-24-2008, 08:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did it kick down when you punched it? If so, that weird sound was probably your exhaust Sorry, had to, lack of description of the sound left it open! If it didn't kick down and revved up, then I'd say it's slipping.

As for the shifting, I'm no trans expert, but maybe the governor is sticking?
Old 08-24-2008, 08:22 PM
11 Second Club

man sounds like what mine did before it went bang! all i was left with was reverse!
Old 08-24-2008, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, sadly not shifting usually is a sign of worse to come...
Old 08-24-2008, 08:32 PM
Teching In

If it didn't kick down and revved up, then I'd say it's slipping.

As for the shifting, I'm no trans expert, but maybe the governor is sticking?[/QUOTE]

It does feel like it kicks down. It does not have a governor set.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by grn95t/a
man sounds like what mine did before it went bang! all i was left with was reverse!
The tranny runs fine though. I am thinking of getting my PCM re-tuned, setting it to shift at 5k RPM. Maybe this should help to keep it out of the red.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Fixxer99TA
Yeah, sadly not shifting usually is a sign of worse to come...
This shifting issue ONLY happens when i floor it, otherwise, the car shifts fine and on time without any slippage.

I know how slipping feels like, as my other formula developed that problem.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

It should rev to 6500 no problem and shift.....If thats what you have it set for (just an example).

I do not think your problem lies in the tuning...
Old 08-24-2008, 08:47 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by formula594
The tranny runs fine though. I am thinking of getting my PCM re-tuned, setting it to shift at 5k RPM. Maybe this should help to keep it out of the red.
mine ran fine too under normal driving, pulled it off the trailer at the track and the first run it wouldn't shift till i let off the pedal. thought damn! what the hell was that? went back to the pits checked somethings, rolled back up to the lane. shifted fine in the parking area. then pow no shift wot. got pissed! went back around for one more try! knowing it was going to go bang! and let her rip! when it finally shifted it went BANG! and all that was left was reverse.

up to that point i never had any sign of trans trouble at all. not saying this will happen to yours or that yours is doing the same as mine did, just saying what happened to mine.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:58 PM
Teching In

Thank you all for the info. Guess i'll just have to take it easy on the pedal, to squeeze a little more life out of my tranny.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:19 PM
On The Tree

Mine is doing the same thing occasionaly during normal driving but it will not make the shift at all on the bottle, everything ive read point to the tranny being on it way out.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Samething happened to my cousins lt1 trans am it would drive normally but at WOT it would shift super early, thought it as govenor, changed it (had wrong one in it) made it rev normally, but still wouldn't downshift when floored, couple weeks later he lost third and fourth and month or so ago rebuilt trans. runs perfect now.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:49 PM
Launching!

Just recently, my car tends to not shift on time when shifting from 2nd to 3rd. My car is tuned to shift at 6500 RPM. It happens when I go WOT. Just yesterday, I floored it and it stayed at 6k RPM and it would not shift. I doubt the tranny is slipping, it does not feel like that.

Earlier on the FWY, I floored it while cruising at 2k RPM (70 mph) and it rev'd up to 5500 RPM and it the needle kinda like bounced a little back and forward. The engine made a weird sound when this occured. Any suggestions?
Mines in the shop for that same EXACT reason. I will let you know what exactly was wrong. Mines covered by a warrenty, thats the only reason its even in there.

But mine would redline in 2nd gear at WOT too. Then if you let it go too long, when you're driving your RPMS will start shooting up a little bit when you're trying to maintain speed. Then they'll start reving up but your speedometer will go no where.

Thats also assuming you have the same problem i have lol.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The governor springs aren't for limiting the speed of your car, but the speed at which the transmission shifts (from my understanding)... Might be different with electronic transmissions though.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1Transhed
Mines in the shop for that same EXACT reason. I will let you know what exactly was wrong. Mines covered by a warrenty, thats the only reason its even in there.

But mine would redline in 2nd gear at WOT too. Then if you let it go too long, when you're driving your RPMS will start shooting up a little bit when you're trying to maintain speed. Then they'll start reving up but your speedometer will go no where.

Thats also assuming you have the same problem i have lol.
Not quite the same. My RPM's remain regular during normal driving.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:09 PM
Launching!

Not quite the same. My RPM's remain regular during normal driving.
.... give it time lol.

Quick Reply: Any suggestions?