LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Are They Really ALL the Valeo Pressure Plate?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 05:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Are They Really ALL the Valeo Pressure Plate?

Well we've all heard of buying the Autozone clutch kit and upgrading the disc in order to have a very strong clutch and a very good price. Well in my area the Autozone clutch kit costs $250 and an upgraded disc would have cost another $160 so I saved myself the hassle and bought a Ram Powergrip for about the same price.

The casting number on the Powergrips Pressure plate is "C70043". Does this number match up to the Valeo pressure plate (or any brand pressure plate)?

I posted this in the manual transmission board but all of those guys seem to be LS1 guys so this seems like the place to post it.

Remember, the casting number on ANY pressure plate should let us know if they all really are the same.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

So it seems like I somewhat answered my own question. A guy in this thread:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ghlight=c70043

Says that he got the Autozone clutch kit and it had the C70043 on it. He also goes on to say it is a cheap Valeo knock off that is unbalanced; would Ram really put that into their kit? I'm going to leave this thread up so we can discuss/get to the bottom of this.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Every aftermarket clutch I have seen comes with a pressure plate with "valeo" attached to it. Some companies claim to use a stronger diaphragm spring and tweak the fulcrum points. I am still not convinced.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wrd1972
Every aftermarket clutch I have seen comes with a pressure plate with "valeo" attached to it. Some companies claim to use a stronger diaphragm spring and tweak the fulcrum points. I am still not convinced.
Well mine didn't have Valeo on it, just C70043.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, they really are - Valeo LT4 pressure plates.

Oh, they paint them different colours (I've had a red, blue, and unpainted), but for single disc clutches they are all the same; LT4 Pressure Plates - hey, they work fine.

As for your issue of casting #'s indicating a difference - keep in mind - sorta' like getting a price match guarentee on a washing machine - Valeo could (Now remember, I said "could" NOT "did indeed") have different casting #'s for different buyers; same specifications, same materials, different numbers (just as you suspected), to make them unique. That way SP*C or Z**M or R*M can say "No, our PPs are different", when the only difference is the colour and the sticker they place on the PP.

In the same way "Best Buy" doesn't worry about their Price Match guarantee because none of their competition carries an "XYZ123" washer by "SpeedKing", but they do offer "XYZ124"s and "XYY123"s that look very, very similar...

Go it? Having said that, the RED (Brand X) PP in my garage is also casting #: "C70043" (I just went out and looked).
Old 08-25-2008, 05:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by great421
Go it? Having said that, the RED (Brand X) PP in my garage is also casting #: "C70043" (I just went out and looked).
Thank you. That's exactly what I needed to know.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Not so fast... Somebody said the "C" word.

Originally Posted by Counted Out
Thank you. That's exactly what I needed to know.
The "C" word is China.

I just read your other thread (in the Manual Trans" section); if this Valeo PP with the 'correct' casting # on it says "Made in China" (on the box or on the PP itself), then the advice given on the other thread is correct; RUN AWAY, as Valeo only makes their stuff in Mexico.

Yeah, I know, not much of a difference right? Again, China only makes krap, and a REAL Valeo PP would not be made there. Asian companies will copy / reverse engineer anything and sell it to us cheap; any you do indeed get what you pay for - cheap krap!

If the Autozone unit says "Made in Mexico" and has a Valeo stamp on it, then it's real; but if it says "Made in China" put it back in the box. Pull a Nancy Reagen and "Just say No".
Old 08-25-2008, 06:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cheap Chinese junk heh. Who would of thunk it.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by great421

I just read your other thread (in the Manual Trans" section); if this Valeo PP with the 'correct' casting # on it says "Made in China" (on the box or on the PP itself), then the advice given on the other thread is correct; RUN AWAY, as Valeo only makes their stuff in Mexico.
I'm confused. I didn't start that thread, just chimed in to let the guy know he should be okay with his Pressure Plate as it's the same one I got with my Powergrip.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Pronoun Trouble

Originally Posted by Counted Out
I'm confused. I didn't start that thread, just chimed in to let the guy know he should be okay with his Pressure Plate as it's the same one I got with my Powergrip.

Forgive me; as Daffy Duck would say: "Pronoun Trouble".

It's "the" other thread, not "your" other thread.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:15 PM
TECH Regular

my SPEC 2 has valeo stamped on it.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:27 PM
Teching In

It's the same with my SPEC 3+. Just a valeo pressure plate that is painted blue and has a SPEC sticker on it.

Quick Reply: Are They Really ALL the Valeo Pressure Plate?