Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disassemble Throttle Body

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 12:46 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disassemble Throttle Body

I have a fairly high mileage LQ4 sitting in my garage waiting to be swapped into my '89 Camaro, and I would like to get it cleaned up a bit before it gets dropped in. And, for now I'm working on the throttle body.

I got all the easy stuff off; the TPS, IAC, and throttle blade. So, I'm wondering what comes next, the shaft doesn't seem to want to come out. There seems to be a little retaining ring of sorts on the TPS end of the shaft. Is getting it off the next step? If so, is there a special way to go about it?

Also, am I going to unavoidably damage any seals or bearings by taking it apart? (Specifically referencing this thread)... However, it seems as though the shaft bearings are the sealed/permanently lubricated type (at least the one on the TPS side that I can see), and maybe the guy in the previous thread just had half of the bearing casing come off...?

Anyway, just wondering if I'm on the right track here. Thanks for any input.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just take a hammer and give the end of the shaft a few good hits and the shaft will slide out of that retainer clip and throttle body. Just don't beat and beat or you will swell the end of the shaft. I have taken 100s of them apart that way and have never damaged the shaft or bearings.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:54 PM
Teching In

Ok, sounds easy enough. I'll give it a go later today. Thanks.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:32 PM
Teching In

Well, I got it apart and all cleaned up just fine. It's all ready to go back together, but... I forgot to take note of which way the retaining ring was facing when installed. I don't remember if is was concave up:

Or, concave down:

Anybody know? mvvette97? Thanks again.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

from the pics I believe it goes the other way, concave down.. The outer lip of the washer will sit flush on the bearing. but honestly I have never put it back on. I just give that little clip a toss. Over 100 throttle bodys I have ported i have never put that thing back on and have never had a problem.
Old 08-27-2008, 04:03 PM
Teching In

Ok, yeah, I was having trouble getting it on either way. Thanks for the info. I think I will try to cram it on there though. I mean, I don't see any problem with leaving it off, I'm just kind of OCD about little stuff like that.

Quick Reply: Disassemble Throttle Body