Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vacuum Leak issues after LS6 intake install

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 06:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Vacuum Leak issues after LS6 intake install

Ok so I just installed my LS6 intake with EGR provisions and I'm now finding that I have a bad vacuum leak somewhere. On start up the car would run up to 2500 RPM then cut down to the point where it died out. I found the PCV Valve was broken and I replaced that. Now It still jumps to 2500 RPM when I start the car then it dies down to less than 500 RPM before shooting back up again. The car has not been tuned of any sort since the intake install. Has anyone else had this issue? Or is there any place I can look that might be a more probable cause?
Old 08-26-2008, 07:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

There arent too many places that can leak that bad to cause the car to run like you are describing. Maybe the Vacuum hose to the brake booster. Maybe the hose from the Throttle body to the passenger side valve cover. Maybe the hose from the intake to the pcv line (passenger side, just beind the throttle body. There is a small hose that connects to the back of the intake right by the MAP sensor for vacuum supply to the inteior of the car for actuating the HVAC doors and also to the AIR pump solenoid, but its a small hose and wouldnt cause such a high idle and then die.

As you can see in the First picture, The yellow line is the one from the throttle body to the valve cover and mine is unplugged. The red is the line for the PCV hose.
If you follow the pcv hose to the back there is another spot on the valve cover for it to plug into, check there as well. This is shown in the third Picture.

Almost forgot, in the second picture, is the connection on the drivers side for EVAP system, that should be plugged into the Brass fitting on the driver side of the Intake just behind the throttle body, I kinda cut it off in the picture a little bit.
Attached Thumbnails Vacuum Leak issues after LS6 intake install-hah-035a.jpg   Vacuum Leak issues after LS6 intake install-hah-041a.jpg   Vacuum Leak issues after LS6 intake install-hah-038a.jpg  

Last edited by Mart00SS; 08-26-2008 at 07:23 PM.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply. I checked out somethings and found the rubber EGR O Ring Seal was not in place properly, plus the EGR wasn't sitting comepletely in on the right side due to the flange around the EGR pipe rubbing against the manifold. So now that seemed to fix the problem and the car is running much better.

Last edited by 1 Bad Ass Formula; 08-27-2008 at 08:44 AM.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Yea that'd do it. I was thinking it didnt have the egr but I see now you had originally posted that it did.

Last edited by Mart00SS; 08-27-2008 at 11:27 AM.

Quick Reply: Vacuum Leak issues after LS6 intake install