Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Problem with power windows

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 07:40 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Problem with power windows

Not sure what the problem is but I just finished putting a car together that I never drove before. The problem is I rolled the drivers side window I rolled it down and it started to roll up then stopped. The pass side I rolled it down, but would only work from the pass window button, now the window won't go up. If I wait awhile the drivers goes up. I hear a black box almost like a relay mounted on the firewall behind the heater ducts click when they don't work.
Not sure if the box is a relay and it is junk, but the windows are fast so I don't think the motors are bad.
By the way this is a 98 trans am. Thanks for any help
Old 08-26-2008, 08:31 PM
12 Second Club

driverside window motor is shot and it sounds like your switch is bad on the masterswitch for just the passenger side window. like the actual button to make the passenger side window go up and down is bad. That black box is more than likely your BCM bodytrain control module if it is near the heater core behind the glove box i cant explain why it's clicking. you really need to be check ing power after the switches on the upside to make sure you are getting power for the motor on the up tilt and it just isnt a bad switch. find out some more info and pm me or pm me your # and I'll reach out to you. Scott
Old 08-26-2008, 09:26 PM
Launching!

Thanks It's not the body control module it's in the middle of the car just a little box that slips into the dound deading mat
\Pm sent
Old 08-27-2008, 06:57 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

The clicking is normal and is the express down module for the drivers side window. All is well with that. You normally can't hear it over the noise of the window. When the motor is on the fritz, you will hear the click of the relay.

Sounds like the motors are bad. You can jump the switches and apply current directly to the motors to confirm. There are internal auto-off circuits in the motors that can go bad, so motor speed is not an indicator of how good/bad the motor package is. So, if you want to test the motor, you need to do it with the motor in the door with load(regulator and glass) on the motor. (If you take a bad motor out of the door and test it, it may falsely test like its good.)
Old 08-27-2008, 07:04 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by 1_bad_ss
Thanks It's not the body control module it's in the middle of the car just a little box that slips into the dound deading mat
\Pm sent
That's the window express down control module. It provides the one-touch down feature of the driver's window and has no impact on the passenger window although it could cause problems with the driver's window moving in either direction.