Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

repair bearings

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 08:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default repair bearings

I installed a repair bearing on my car and I was not able to replace the c clip that holds the axle in. The repair bearing which is longer than the regular bearing sticks out of the housing just a little and that is what you need to replace the clips. I don't see any way to get the axle in far enough to get the clips in. Has anyone found a solution, in my opinion the repair bearing is a joke and a waste of money.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:08 PM
Dex
TECH Regular

Yea few posts up you have to work to get it in with a few extra hits and someone pushing on it.
Old 08-30-2008, 11:28 AM
Launching!

I have the repair bearings in my rear....you have to have someone push in on the axle while you put the c-clip in. You also may have to lightly tap the c-clip in to the groove of the axle.
Old 08-30-2008, 11:46 AM
Banned

DO NOT use a repair bearing with a Torsen differential. Sure you can push here and pry there but the axle has to come too far in and it ruins the seal.
Then it leaks. And getting the c clip back out is damn near impossible.

Theres nothing wrong with repair bearings. If you have an Auburn, Eaton, open diff, or any that allows the clip to slide right in.

The Torsen diff is just too thick to use with one of these.