LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

my posi is facked.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 02:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my posi is facked.

im just wondering...my diff. it def. doesnt spin both wheels, but is there a way to maybe rebuild it and it will spin both wheels again? would it be hard to rebuild it?

i looked in there, took the cover off...replaced the fluid and everything, but i did look at it and i'm sure its a posi because of the yellow springs that were in in the front of it.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

You could weld the Spider Gears.. that would be the cheapest way.. the Rear would be locked the whole time though.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:03 PM
On The Tree

lol. that would be kinda the same as a locker, and i dont want to not be able to turn whole time in my DD
Old 08-27-2008, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by the_merv
You could weld the Spider Gears.. that would be the cheapest way.. the Rear would be locked the whole time though.
Do that, beat is some more.... Replace.

Doesnt that just sound more fun than simply Replace?

And you still can turn, it just might hop a little in corners
Old 08-27-2008, 03:09 PM
TECH Junkie

I've had a welded dif in one of my cars. Funniest **** ever. But yes, tires will kick and chirp when making slow narrow turns.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:21 PM
On The Tree

winters commin up=/ dont really feel like replacing the whole thing..just looking to fix the one wheel peel, it kinda sucks. i have 1 tire with half treads, and one with almost full treads lol. with the one wheel, the cloud is big as f*uck still tho, but yeah..
Old 08-27-2008, 03:42 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Fixxer99TA
And you still can turn, it just *WILL* hop a little in corners
FIXED.

AND YEA THAT WOULD BE FUNNY AS HELL IF YOU WELDED THE SPIDER GEARS DO IT!!!!
Old 08-27-2008, 03:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by KadinZ
winters commin up=/ dont really feel like replacing the whole thing..just looking to fix the one wheel peel, it kinda sucks. i have 1 tire with half treads, and one with almost full treads lol. with the one wheel, the cloud is big as f*uck still tho, but yeah..

Well I mean, if you're not willing to spend the money and or time to fix it, you shouldn't be racing it around. If you drive conservative you won't have one tire full tread and the other half. Just drive it normal, no racing.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:57 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1badzee
Well I mean, if you're not willing to spend the money and or time to fix it, you shouldn't be racing it around. If you drive conservative you won't have one tire full tread and the other half. Just drive it normal, no racing.
very good point. i baby my car every day and its not even broke (granted it has been broken quiet a few times, and quiet enough times for me to realize it usually breaks when i beat on it)

and honestly i never understood how someone could run out of tire so quickly. do you just do local burn out shows infront of your school or are you trying to warm the tires up when you are burning out?
Old 08-27-2008, 04:00 PM
On The Tree

well, as you can imagine...i have just gotten the car, when i first got it...i babied it and got a feel for all the pressure points and such, was scared to burn out cuz its supposed to be a posi, which both tires spin and that scared me for some reason..but yeah, ive burned out like 5 times, but 3 of those times i was testing to see if both tires spun and they didnt.
Old 08-27-2008, 04:01 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by PNYKLR-TA
and honestly i never understood how someone could run out of tire so quickly.
Come ride with me for a month, I'll show ya..I bet even less than that with the T56..

Then again I get my tires for $30 a piece so I can play on em..
Old 08-27-2008, 04:03 PM
On The Tree

where do you get tires for 30 bux...

mine are street tires and they were about 150 bux a piece...
Old 08-27-2008, 04:24 PM
12 Second Club

mine are street tires and they were about 150 bux a piece...
street tires a hundred and fifty a piece!? holy lord i got my Nitto 555R's for like $275 installed and balanced.
Old 08-27-2008, 04:28 PM
On The Tree

yeah...these tires are pretty fu*king wide...i need to get some normal damn rims for this car..i gotta do a bit of work to this car to make it an acceptable street DD...
Old 08-27-2008, 05:19 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm sure it's acceptable as is, just stop burning out lol. Posi unit took a **** in my car not too long ago too, doesn't mean it's not an acceptable Daily. Hell, my tranny is slipping like crazy but that doesn't mean it can't be a good daily. I can commute from place to place no problem if I drive normally, not like I'm at the track.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Eagle GS-Cs are $150/ea

And welding the spider gears isn't like a locker, it's like a spool That's what I'd do till you get the money and time to fix it.And winter isn't coming up for another good 2 months up here. If you can't finish it in 2 months, you wouldn't have a prayer trying to rebuild the carrier You're better off replacing the whole rear anyways since you'll have to get the carrier shimmed correctly and so forth. And you can weld it up while it's still in the differential! Just, make sure you spray out all the gear lube with brake clean and let it air out a bit, and keep a hose close by. Oh and learn from my mistake... Don't leave the drain pan full of oil under the diff while welding LOL I ignited the whole pan of oil :\ Couldn't figure out why there was redish light reflecting on the inside of the welding mask!

Hell: If you really want to, and have 3:23 gears (2.73s have a different carrier) I have a carrier that's not posi that I could weld up and sell you for cheap. Then if you really want to try and find a rebuild kit (not sure where to look for that), you can do that all winter.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:57 PM
On The Tree

well, heres the thing...i just want both of my tires to spin, not gonna put in a new damn rear-end, maybe when i get 700+ hp i will...most likely next year when i get the ls1 or ls7 in there..ill work hard and get myself a nice 9" or 12 bolt in there.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You'll toast your rear end well before 700HP lol You'll be able to do it with 350hp.

And get an LS3, don't drop the coin on an LS7. Or just do what the_merv did and save $4K
Old 08-27-2008, 10:56 PM
11 Second Club

There is a Good Year Tire Center here locally. They run a contract with the Police Depts. I get the "used"(I quote that cause they take them off and swap em pretty much after they go over 100mph on a highway chase) Good Year RSA's, size 225/60R16's and throw 'em on the Salad Shooters. They have on average about 1/4" of tread left, and all the little rubber mold hairs still in the sidewalls, pretty much they are within 10k miles of new.

They actually bite pretty good, I've gotten a few kills on them with the stock lookin LT1 Car..

well, heres the thing...i just want both of my tires to spin, not gonna put in a new damn rear-end, maybe when i get 700+ hp i will...most likely next year when i get the ls1 or ls7 in there..ill work hard and get myself a nice 9" or 12 bolt in there.
I blew up my stock Rear with the LT1 and a good set of 275/40 BFG's. Funny thing too my Dad said I was going to do it.. lol

Here is my Auburn Pro Series 10-bolt after 6 passes.. the first pass launch(1.58 60ft) killed the Clutches..from then on it was on a downhill slope to total fail..it blew on a wheelie with both tires in the air though..

Old 08-28-2008, 01:39 PM
On The Tree

lol. ill see if i can take pics of mine and post em, nothing seemed broken so yeah..

Quick Reply: my posi is facked.