LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Hello Dart!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 03:59 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello Dart!

If anyone at Dart happens to be reading this thread or you know someone at Dart, us LTX guys “really need” an aftermarket 2nd Gen block! Hey, I’m begging here and ready to sell my sole to the devil if I have to!

Here is what I think would be the ultimate aftermarket 2nd Gen iron block. 4.125” bore, w/ extra-thick cylinder walls, capable of handling a 3.875” or 4.00” stroke, 4-bolt mains, a competition oiling system, premium high-strength iron and beefed up in all the critical areas. Also, maybe a tall-deck (9.325") version block.

And, if you wanted to take it to another level, an all-out competition aluminum block with 4.190” bore sleeves and a 4.125” stroke capability.

WD

Old 08-27-2008, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

That would be AMAZING....

If only...
Old 08-27-2008, 05:24 PM
12 Second Club

good luck... we all seem to own vehicles with the red-headed stepchild of performance motors.

no one shows any love for them.
there are a total of 3 companies making aftermarket heads for them,
only a handful of reputable head porting guys are out there that will even f*ck with them.
the aftermarket intakes that are available have minimal R&D time compared to the LSx cars, and even the one(s) that are produced, barely out perform a stock unit.

does anyone make a turbo kit for an lt1? I know of 10 companies that do for LSx owners.

we're definately getting shat on by the later model motors...
Old 08-27-2008, 05:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mighty Whitey
good luck... we all seem to own vehicles with the red-headed stepchild of performance motors.

no one shows any love for them.
there are a total of 3 companies making aftermarket heads for them,
only a handful of reputable head porting guys are out there that will even f*ck with them.
the aftermarket intakes that are available have minimal R&D time compared to the LSx cars, and even the one(s) that are produced, barely out perform a stock unit.

does anyone make a turbo kit for an lt1? I know of 10 companies that do for LSx owners.

we're definately getting shat on by the later model motors...
Quite a few turbo kits for the LTx. One, while not the conventional style, is STS. There are others I've seen too.

Also, our blocks are pretty good for stock, only thing we could use over stock is being able to punch them out more. That 454cid SBC that World sells would be awesome for an LTx It would call for some different heads though I think, not needed but you'd want the combustion chamber styled different to be able to use bigger valves.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just dont think itd be profitable purely from a business standpoint unless they could slightly modify a casting of a GEN I block to make it work and cut down on R&D
Old 08-27-2008, 06:28 PM
Launching!

ok i didnt kno how to copy it correctly but in a thread by.. 1badz i believe.. he just got some dart pro 1s and a guy on here chimed in that he worked for dart... i copied his post and it has his contact info if youre interested in talking to him.

07-09-2008, 06:58 PM #42
Jeff@ramchargers
Staging Lane

Trader Rating: 0
Posts: 52 Hey guys, I work for Dart now and do the valve job on those heads. I have them on my 94 m6 with a hot cam and full lengths and you really notice a difference. I have not been to the dyno or the track yet due to working so much overtime so I can not get you numbers there. If you guys have any questions I can try to help you the best I can.

94 Camaro Z-28 M6
95 Trans Am A4
Old 08-27-2008, 07:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will likely never see an aftermarket LTX block. The market is just not big enough.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by fergymoto
You will likely never see an aftermarket LTX block. The market is just not big enough.
If we could some how get NHRA to sanction an LTx block class, that'd open the market up loads ^_^
Old 08-27-2008, 07:28 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, if people want to run it. Let's face it, it is not the most cost effective thing to try and run fast with. Most people running LT1s are doing it because they like them, myself included. Most people in general are going to run whatever platform they can go faster, cheaper. Which in most cases is SBC, BBC, and even now the LS1 as much as cost has come down on them. There's just not enough serious LT1 people for them to have such a class. You got to figure we have probably less than 10 heavy hitter LT1s in the country. Where as there are hundreds of BBC, SBC, and LS1s going fast.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Wouldn't the reverse flow help out on the strip though? With the ability to convert to non-opti systems, you'd think more people would think about it just for that reason. Or even running an LT1 not even computer controlled.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:31 PM
TECH Junkie

I have their heads. GREAT heads. Top notch quality IMO.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Just go to a SBC and stop messing around
Old 08-27-2008, 08:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Formula350
Wouldn't the reverse flow help out on the strip though? With the ability to convert to non-opti systems, you'd think more people would think about it just for that reason. Or even running an LT1 not even computer controlled.
The opti is actually a real genius design, closest you can get to an accurate crank trigger. People just lose touch on maintainance and let their water pumps get old and start leaking and **** and there it goes - although if you seal it right youll never have that problem. I've taken my car through foot deep puddles going fast, ive gone through car washes, pressure washed my engine, and my opti is still up and running flawlessly, thats because i took the time to seal it. And the reverse-cooling is also genius because it cools the cylinder heads first, preventing detonation and allowing for a much higher compression ratio and more spark advance. We truely have diamonds in the rough.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Formula350
If we could some how get NHRA to sanction an LTx block class, that'd open the market up loads ^_^
There really is no logical point for them to do it

SBC is far better in everyway when it comes to building a racing engine

Its not a hard swap at all, and if its not your daily driver than who cares
Old 08-27-2008, 08:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1badzee
The opti is actually a real genius design, closest you can get to an accurate crank trigger. People just lose touch on maintainance and let their water pumps get old and start leaking and **** and there it goes - although if you seal it right youll never have that problem. I've taken my car through foot deep puddles going fast, ive gone through car washes, pressure washed my engine, and my opti is still up and running flawlessly, thats because i took the time to seal it. And the reverse-cooling is also genius because it cools the cylinder heads first, preventing detonation and allowing for a much higher compression ratio and more spark advance. We truely have diamonds in the rough.
Its not at all when it comes to a racing motor and high RPMs

Again if your racing stuff like this doesnt matter in a track car
Old 08-27-2008, 08:43 PM
TECH Junkie

If you build it right, you won't have a problem.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by fergymoto
Yeah, if people want to run it. Let's face it, it is not the most cost effective thing to try and run fast with. Most people running LT1s are doing it because they like them, myself included. Most people in general are going to run whatever platform they can go faster, cheaper. Which in most cases is SBC, BBC, and even now the LS1 as much as cost has come down on them. There's just not enough serious LT1 people for them to have such a class. You got to figure we have probably less than 10 heavy hitter LT1s in the country. Where as there are hundreds of BBC, SBC, and LS1s going fast.
You're correct, there are many cheaper options to go fast then LTX engines. And, even more questionable are the import people "trying" to go fast with 1.8 liter engines. Hell, my 2 liter DrPepper is bigger than that!

So, a lot of going fast is simply the way you want to approach it (LTX, BBC, SBC, N/A, N2O, forced induction, nitro or whatever). It’s your choice with the performance package you want to build and feel comfortable with. Hey, I still see some 409s at the track from time-to-time.

WD
Old 08-27-2008, 09:17 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Found it.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....27&postcount=9
Got some money??
Old 08-27-2008, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow, nice...

How much money are we talkin?
Old 08-27-2008, 09:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

That motor looks abused under the timing cover heh What's with all the extra drilling and milling?