PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats what? ECU's

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats what? ECU's

I am new to this LS1 thing... I currently am running a BMW M3 with a LS1 swap. I want to be able to smog the vehicle but I would like to do some custom tuning to the engine as I dont plan on it staying stock. What are my options and whats the best... not best bang for your buck whats the BEST?
Old 08-28-2008, 09:54 PM
10 Second Club

The GM LS1 PCM is more than adequate for your needs. It's by far the most popular choice for editing because it allows for a wide array of parameter adjusting and has a strong aftermarket support with different editing softwares/scan tools available. They also offer custom operating systems for forced induction and nitrous as well. In addition, GM PCM retains the OEM emission capability including the diagnostics. I use the stock PCM and EFIlive with no problems.
Old 08-30-2008, 01:15 AM
wrencher

Agreed the GM PCM is just fine. Now if it is gonna be crazy forced inducted low impedance injector'd motor I say a BS3 or the like.
Old 08-30-2008, 01:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by M3Feen
I am new to this LS1 thing... I currently am running a BMW M3 with a LS1 swap. I want to be able to smog the vehicle but I would like to do some custom tuning to the engine as I dont plan on it staying stock. What are my options and whats the best... not best bang for your buck whats the BEST?
Being able to smog the vehicle will have nothing to do with the best PCM or software. In some jurisdictions, the PCM vehicle ID must match the correct vin for the car. If that is the case, you are totally fubar. In other places, you just have to pass an OBDII code scan, and in others you just need a tailpipe sniff. As far as the best software to tune an ls1 pcm, look at HPtuners and EFIlive, then flip a coin.