Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Solid mount or no?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 09:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solid mount or no?

Tryin to decide if I want should with solid motor mounts on my conversion turbo build.

If its solid mount, I can brace the turbo off of the frame, Poly motor mounts I would need to have it all supported on the motor itself so the crossover pipes don't break?

Vehicle will be 99% Street driven, which do most go with? And if most do go Poly, how did you mount the turbo?

-Cory
Old 08-28-2008, 10:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Skelbow
Tryin to decide if I want should with solid motor mounts on my conversion turbo build.

If its solid mount, I can brace the turbo off of the frame, Poly motor mounts I would need to have it all supported on the motor itself so the crossover pipes don't break?

Vehicle will be 99% Street driven, which do most go with? And if most do go Poly, how did you mount the turbo?

-Cory
Simply because you listed 99% street driven as a goal, I would stay as close to normal for a stock turbo setup as is possible. A lot of people underestimate the amount of vibration, noise, and maintenance they REALLY want to put up with for a street car. This (for me) would mean cast manifolds or good headers and "maybe" bracing from the heads. Solid motor mounts wouldn't even be a consideration.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gametech
Simply because you listed 99% street driven as a goal, I would stay as close to normal for a stock turbo setup as is possible. A lot of people underestimate the amount of vibration, noise, and maintenance they REALLY want to put up with for a street car. This (for me) would mean cast manifolds or good headers and "maybe" bracing from the heads. Solid motor mounts wouldn't even be a consideration.
Solid motors mounts are just fine!!!!!! The car feels way better with them!
Old 08-28-2008, 10:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by otherwhitemeat
I like open downpipes, too, but they are not for everyone. Especially maybe not for legit 99% street driving. The same could be said for true road race tires, taking off the front sways, etc.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:21 AM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by otherwhitemeat
Definately !!!!
Old 08-29-2008, 07:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got solid motor mounts. I could barely tell the difference as far as noise and vibration.
Old 08-30-2008, 04:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gametech
I like open downpipes, too, but they are not for everyone. Especially maybe not for legit 99% street driving. The same could be said for true road race tires, taking off the front sways, etc.
Open down pipes????? What are you talking about? Can't you read!
Old 08-30-2008, 10:25 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly I went solid after my downpipe and crossover smoked the stock mount and the difference was incredibly small, not what I expected at all. I must have had a lot of slop in my dieing factory mounts because the whole car felt more solid and really lifts up when the turbo comes up. Truthfully, my car has never been down the track, lots of street miles though and I really like them. I was quite worried before they went on that there would be a lot of vibration too.