Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

hazy paint

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 02:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default hazy paint

I recently bought an SS spoiler and had it painted black......IT look AWESOME but over time ive noticed that it has developed a "haze" on it......anyone know how to get rid of it?
Old 09-01-2008, 02:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

you can try buffing it.
Old 09-01-2008, 04:01 PM
TECH Resident

How many coats of clear did they add? Hopefully its not thinning out. Hence buffing it would cause more problems. If they put a good two coats then you can try buffing, if you are not sure i would have them respray, or have them look at it.
Old 09-01-2008, 04:57 PM
12 Second Club

I dont know how many coats he did........I had it painted out of town...IT looks damn good when u wax it but once the wax starts to wear off it gets this almost blue looking haze.
Old 09-01-2008, 05:38 PM
TECH Resident

I might just call em up and ask how much they sprayed.. How long ago did you have it painted?
Old 09-01-2008, 05:46 PM
12 Second Club

i would say about 4 or 5 months ago.
Old 09-01-2008, 06:25 PM
On The Tree

email me a good pic, i can prolly tell you what is going on,, i hightly doubt it is not enough clear, it's not that easy, and anybody in their right mind would not stop at one coat.

email is mopar978@yahoo.com
Old 09-01-2008, 10:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

did you wax before the 30 day mark by chance
Old 09-01-2008, 11:13 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by bdyman
did you wax before the 30 day mark by chance
Not that i can think of.....i was almost scared to wash the car for fear of the paint not curring yet.....lol
Old 09-02-2008, 12:28 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by AutoRodTechnologies
email me a good pic, i can prolly tell you what is going on,, i hightly doubt it is not enough clear, it's not that easy, and anybody in their right mind would not stop at one coat.

email is mopar978@yahoo.com
I dont have a good digital camera....but ill try and get a buddy to help me and ill send u some pics...thanks
Old 09-02-2008, 12:33 AM
12 Second Club

O i will say this tho......it looked BEAUTIFUL when i picked it up and installed it...drove it around town for a bit and loved it....then i drove home about an hour or so worth of highway driving in some 95+ degree heat.....and for the next week or so (because of the some repairs to our garage) the car had to stay out in the sun.....it was prolly after that i kinda noticed a haze but i figured it was just dirty.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:04 AM

your in nothern TX correct? did it by chance get below around 50-55 degrees within the first few nights of it being painted? sometimes, depending on the materials used, the time given to flash between coats and the final cure time, paint can be put into a state of "shock" if it is exposed to quick temp. change. it sometimes peals, or "hazes" over.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

might be cheap clear coat dieng back
Old 09-02-2008, 12:53 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by JRHunt
your in nothern TX correct? did it by chance get below around 50-55 degrees within the first few nights of it being painted? sometimes, depending on the materials used, the time given to flash between coats and the final cure time, paint can be put into a state of "shock" if it is exposed to quick temp. change. it sometimes peals, or "hazes" over.
Yea it definately got below that...i think it got down to the low 40's mid 30's.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:12 PM
TECH Resident

What color was is prior to being painted black? I'm wondering if the original color or what ever color it was before is trying to come back. That would happen if the painter didn't seal it. I don't recall if it would cause a 'haze' as you describe though...something to think about.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:59 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by camracingah
What color was is prior to being painted black? I'm wondering if the original color or what ever color it was before is trying to come back. That would happen if the painter didn't seal it. I don't recall if it would cause a 'haze' as you describe though...something to think about.
It was this weird *** baby blue color......i remember the painter saying that he had HELL after sanding and trying to lay down the first coat.....something in that old paint i guess that didnt let the black stick at first.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:06 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by GT Griller
It was this weird *** baby blue color......i remember the painter saying that he had HELL after sanding and trying to lay down the first coat.....something in that old paint i guess that didnt let the black stick at first.

He should have just primed or sealed the whole thing instead of just painting over the old paint. That way the old color has nothing to do with it. What you should do is take it to them, pay them a few bucks to sand it with some 2000 grit wet paper and buff it. The reason it looks good w/ wax is because you are just hiding the imperfections for a short time. For it to look right, it needs to be wet sanded, then buffed in a 3 step process- compund, glaze, then swirl remover.

If they did it, hold them responsible. that way if they 'burn' thru the paint when they go to buff it, they'll repaint it. If you screw it up, they are gonna give you the 'user error' deal.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah sounds like the paint is thinning out or something. Take it back and have him fix it. That should not happen.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:28 PM
On The Tree

ok,, take a closer look at the part, if you stand from a distance you are seeing a haze, but when you look closer are there a bunch of pinhead sized spots, if so it could be solvent popping, that is when solvents are escaping from the underlying coats, and trying to get to the surface.
If that is the case the part will need to be re-painted, i can't imagine that he will gripe to much it is a small part, and many times with the chemicals in paint you are just better re-doing the part than trying to figure it out.. I don't know of any painter that doesn't have a problem from time to time..
Old 09-02-2008, 08:21 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SPDEMON
He should have just primed or sealed the whole thing instead of just painting over the old paint. That way the old color has nothing to do with it. What you should do is take it to them, pay them a few bucks to sand it with some 2000 grit wet paper and buff it. The reason it looks good w/ wax is because you are just hiding the imperfections for a short time. For it to look right, it needs to be wet sanded, then buffed in a 3 step process- compund, glaze, then swirl remover.

If they did it, hold them responsible. that way if they 'burn' thru the paint when they go to buff it, they'll repaint it. If you screw it up, they are gonna give you the 'user error' deal.
I dont think this is the case cause i chipped a corner just a lil bit when installing it and it seems theres a white base coat so i know he didnt pain straight over the blue paint.

Originally Posted by AutoRodTechnologies
ok,, take a closer look at the part, if you stand from a distance you are seeing a haze, but when you look closer are there a bunch of pinhead sized spots, if so it could be solvent popping, that is when solvents are escaping from the underlying coats, and trying to get to the surface.
If that is the case the part will need to be re-painted, i can't imagine that he will gripe to much it is a small part, and many times with the chemicals in paint you are just better re-doing the part than trying to figure it out.. I don't know of any painter that doesn't have a problem from time to time..
naw it looks damn smooth, just a weird haze like for example......like when u put ur shades on top of ur head and u get hair greese or gel on them and u wipe it off....it leaves like a film....thats kinda what i got on the spoiler...i really wish i had a camera so i could get u a pic.

Quick Reply: hazy paint