Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Car audio system for home use?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 12:04 AM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Car audio system for home use?

Hey all, just wondering what would be involved with setting up a car amp and woofers for use in a home audio system. My setup works pretty good but I could use even more bass (who doesn't??). I've been finding some pretty good deals on amps and woofers here and was wondering if/how I'd go about hooking them up to a home system?

Here's a pic of my bedroom setup: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v9...t=IMG_1114.jpg
As you can see, it's already a hodgepodge of various amplifiers/receivers, input units, and speakers. I don't think a custom made box housing two more 15"s would look out of place.

P.S. Yes, I'm a little kooky when it comes to ideas for the sound system in that room - always trying different things (placement, absorbers, number of speakers, etc). Right now it's in a 9.3 config. 5 front, 4 rear, 3 subs. Trying to reduce the full range speaker count a bit to get things more focused. Magnepans would be nice in the future - hence the need for strong bass reproduction.

Last edited by ZexGX; 09-03-2008 at 01:14 AM.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure exactly how to do it, but i remember my cousin did it in his room. The only thing I remember is he had a 12v wall adapter hooked up to the amp some how.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:25 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by nomoneyz
Not sure exactly how to do it, but i remember my cousin did it in his room. The only thing I remember is he had a 12v wall adapter hooked up to the amp some how.
I've heard people jury-rig power inverters or something?? I think my biggest problem would be supplying power... I have storage batteries available and can always buy a power converter of some sort. Just don't know how any of it would work right now.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:44 AM
TECH Addict

When will people stop asking this?

A good power supply plus a car amplifier will cost you as much or more than a decent home amplifier. Get a Behringer EP1500 or EP2500.

A car subwoofer driver will work fine; just don't get a cheap piece of crap like Pyramid or... Bazooka

Houses have a lot more air to fill than cars. Even if some people here think their dinky Bazooka subs are fine in the car, they definitely won't be in the house.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:46 AM
12 Second Club

Can anybody answer my question? Assume I inherited a bunch of high output leftover car audio parts from a friend. Geez.

Mostly because of how my current setup is - I don't have 1/4 jacks or XLR inputs/outputs on any of the current devices. I'd have to rework a lot of this system - unless you know of a high output amp with RCA style inputs or a cheap way to get from RCA to XLR. Those Behringers only have 1/4 and XLR inputs... I may already have all the necessary parts (even for power) to do this - I just don't know if I do. If I already have the parts, it'd save me quite a bit of money. I have spare car amplifiers and all I'd need to buy are some decent woofers (cause yes, the only spare woofer I have is a 6.5" Bazooka in tube :p).

P.S. It's a small room. I'm pretty sure the 15s I have in the room right now weren't designed to be pushing as much air as they are, but through fine tuning (placement, various amps and adjustments) I have gotten them to deliver quite a punch (and a shitload of volume) at around 100w each. I say this because I've been looking for non-ghetto powered subs that produce the same effect but I haven't found a good one under $2000 that comes close to the results that my cheap *** setup currently makes. I'm thinking I can do quite a bit with 800w+ per sub... Yes, it's a low budget system - that's why the RCA and cheap home amps, not pro amps and, receivers, and speakers.

Last edited by ZexGX; 09-03-2008 at 09:59 AM.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:29 AM
TECH Addict

I answered your question already. Pro amps are the cheapest way to go unless you're talking, say, running a subwoofer from an old stereo integrated amplifier you got from your dad's attic for free.

A high-amperage low-noise power supply to run a high-powered car amp alone would cost more than an EP1500.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:58 PM
12 Second Club

And I've been saying... I'll have to buy more than just an EP1500. In fact if I did, I'd go for the EP2500 which means I'm paying more. I'll have to rework my entire sound system (that means buying amplifiers, equalizers, cables, etc.) just to satisfy the requirements placed on it by going the EP1500 route.

My current main woofers are connected like so: old Sansui speaker cabinets with 15" bass drivers, crossovers set so that only the 15s receive power->16ga speaker wire->old free MCS receiver/amp combo which functions as a signal/volume booster (works great for this application)->Yamaha receiver/amp sub output (to MCS) as preamp from-> another yamaha receiver (main input selection, separate speaker options)->source

I suppose I could try and sell all of my equipment (at a loss) and start over with pro amps, pricey receivers, equalizers, XLR cables/1/4 jacks, high end speakers, and then on top of that put in two 15's designed for car use. If I went that route I'd be better off spending the money on an LSx powered car! I still think obtaining a power conversion system and figuring out how to control the audio levels would be cheaper in the end. Unless you know of a way to getting the EP2500 to work with my crazy setup by purchasing another piece of equipment, that is.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

instead of rigging up your car system into your bedroom, why dont you look at the mini systems sony has puttin coming out with? less than a year ago i bought the 720 rms system. it ran me about 500. i bought this while i was at school so i hookd it up in my dorm room which was extremely narrow. THE BASS WAS INSANE. now its hooked up in my bedroom in my apartment and it still sounds great. i fooled around a lil bit and managed to hook up my 10 inch alpine type r. 500 rms on that subs alone plus 3 of the other original speakers. incredible stuff,always got and getting into trouble. now, sony just came out with a 1000rms system. and im definitely looking into that right now. but honestly, if your real into bass like i am, go with a sony product, you cant go wrong.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know this sounds kind of redneck, but. In my garage I have an amp, and a box with 2 12's. I just have a power and ground running to a battery charger. The battery charger runs it as well if not better than my car. You could always try it.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:03 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by phantomzer0
I know this sounds kind of redneck, but. In my garage I have an amp, and a box with 2 12's. I just have a power and ground running to a battery charger. The battery charger runs it as well if not better than my car. You could always try it.
That's the sort of answer I was looking for! My system ain't too fancy either, but the results are impressive enough to thoroughly entertain people. I have some large sized deep cycle batteries that I can possibly hook up to a battery charger (which I also have) and power the system. Do you have a headunit connected to that for level controls or is it just the amp and woofers?