Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Oil pump decision aps twin turbos

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 11:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Oil pump decision aps twin turbos

Don't want to be putting in too high pressure pump and having to put restrictors in my turbo oil inlet lines.

My 408 is pretty much done now it sounds like and have to pick oil pump.Choice is melling assume the 296 and new stock ls6.
I assume should use the lower pressure spring. I was told stock pump is fine for stock engine but with aftermarket crank and all that stuff and I have callies crank and callies rods wiseco pistons then should use a bit more volume. I understand there can be problems with timing chain on the 296 melling and will use ls2 chain most likely or something compatible.
I would use the lower pressure spring the blue one?
So what are you guys running? Does the oil going thru the turbos mean a higher volume pump is better?
Is the melling 296 higher volume even with the blue lower pressure spring installed..think the red is the high pressure spring???
Old 09-03-2008, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would go with a bigger pump and have a restrictor. But that is just me
Old 09-03-2008, 12:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im using a SLP HV oil pump...used it cause we didnt have to shim it, one less thing to worry about when i got it back together. right now i have no trouble with too much oil in the turbos so im guessing it'll be ok. and its on a 402ci. also.

Quick Reply: Oil pump decision aps twin turbos