Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Constant low fuel psi? WTF?!?!

Old 09-03-2008, 08:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Constant low fuel psi? WTF?!?!

Ok I have a Walbro 255 intake with a hot wire kit. The car ran fine last night, but I noticed that where I sealed the hotwire kit (in the sending unit) started to leak when I filled up at a gas station (a little bit of gas leaked out since I filled it so much). So today I put some more sealant on it, but this time I used a putty type sealant, fine. So I go to start it up and it just sounds really wired, like the cam is half the size it is, and almost sounds waaay to smooth to even have a cam, I go to blip the throttle and I just watch the rpm's fall. I take a look at the wideband and it is reading about 22.9 to 25.9, typically it would be about 12.5-13.8 at cold idle. I hook up a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel rail and it just reads a constant 30-32 psi. Do you think the pump is going out, or could that putty sealant have affected voltage to the pump (not sure how that would affect it, but that was the only change made since it ran fine last night).
Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:39 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any hot wire kit that passes through the sender without a bulkhead connector is a poor quality setup & should be avoided. There is little sense in burning up in a fire due to buying cheap equipment.

As for your pressure problem, I would also expect that the pump came with a rubber hose to connect it. This is probably your pressure problem.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lonnies Performance
Any hot wire kit that passes through the sender without a bulkhead connector is a poor quality setup & should be avoided. There is little sense in burning up in a fire due to buying cheap equipment.

As for your pressure problem, I would also expect that the pump came with a rubber hose to connect it. This is probably your pressure problem.
I bought the car with that pump and hot wire kit already installed. I already replaced the sending unit, because the previous owner had everything jigger rigged to say the least. I wasnt aware that the hot wire kit might also be rigged up. Thanks.

Search this Thread