LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Assuming I were leave it stock...

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 10:10 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Assuming I were leave it stock...

I've been tossing the idea around to sell the GTO and purchase an Impala SS for a driver (and a LS1 Z28 for my toy). I will leave the Impala 100% stock. The only things I will be doing to it are tint, filling it up with gas and following the maintenance schedule.

I know some of you modified guys have problems with the transmission and whatnot, but for someone like myself who will only use this car for commuting and highway trips, what should I be expecting?

On the note of gas, premium is recommended, but not required, correct? I'm hoping to be around 20+mpg mixed city/hwy (my GTO gets 18-19 with 75% city).

Oh, one last thing. They do have rear disc brakes, right?

Thanks for any insight.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rear disc yes.

Fuel economy is better with premium and a tune.

I doubt you would have a tranny problem but it can happen, as these are not even bulletproof for a daily driver.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Some people with stock cars that don't beat on them have had the trannys go. You should be fine though. I'm completely stock with no plans on any engine mods, my normal driving is 80% city and with that I only get around 14mpg. The weekend trips I take during the summer are about 75/25 highway/city and I get about 24mpg then. If I keep it between 55-60 on the highway (which is basically never) I can get 30.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:23 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Thanks for the feedback. If I get an '06, I'll only purchase one that is GM certified so I can get the 100k mile powertrain. I don't plan on keeping it to 100k miles, so I suppose even with the chance that something could happen, I will be covered. '07+ I won't have to worry, but besides the transmission, are there any other annoyances that I might wish I had purchased a different driver?

I tell you what, if gas weren't a concern, I'd be going with a TBSS... but I really like the "all business" look of the Impala.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:15 PM
TECH Addict

The seats suck, but everything else is pretty good imo. For general D2D driving, the seats are actually OK, but w/o side bolsters, you'll find yourself leaning on the door or console when maneuvering aggressively. I'd consider the seats as my #1 pet peeve with this car.

Not sure how you'll manage, fuel economy-wise, but I do a ton of real city driving and get horrible gas mileage. I don't think it would be possible for me to obtain 18-19 in mixed driving unless I found a new job (that didn't require frequent stops at stopsigns/lights) or developed a lighter foot. If your idea of city driving means the occasional red light after cruising at 40mph, I could see you meet your goals.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

+1 on the seats too. They're not bad for every day driving though as Buff mentioned. Another annoyance(even though a very small one that most don't care about) is the fact they have no hooks to hold dry cleaning. I just use the "oh ****" handles in the back and it works okay.

The popup wind deflector looks stupid if you get a car with a sunroof, but it really does cut down the wind noise(it's amazing how loud it gets if you pull it down while going 80mph) so I just live with it. The trunk carpeting sucks too, but that's also a minor detail that can be overlooked. Overall I think everything is pretty good and it should serve you well as a DD (that can still kick some *** stock when provoked haha).
Old 09-04-2008, 12:54 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by demonspeed
Thanks for the feedback. If I get an '06, I'll only purchase one that is GM certified so I can get the 100k mile powertrain. I don't plan on keeping it to 100k miles, so I suppose even with the chance that something could happen, I will be covered. '07+ I won't have to worry, but besides the transmission, are there any other annoyances that I might wish I had purchased a different driver?

I tell you what, if gas weren't a concern, I'd be going with a TBSS... but I really like the "all business" look of the Impala.
well, with that 5 yr or 100,000 mile warranty, ya don't have to keep it for 100,000 miles, but that 5 yr. mark may be up before you think...

that coverage applies retro-active - since the vehicle's original/first in-service date... not from when you buy it...

if that 06 was actually sold and on the road sometime back in 05, then 3+ years of that warranty is gone already, and you only have 1.xx to 2 years of coverage left...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com

Last edited by 06MonteSS; 09-04-2008 at 01:05 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:40 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
well, with that 5 yr or 100,000 mile warranty, ya don't have to keep it for 100,000 miles, but that 5 yr. mark may be up before you think...

that coverage applies retro-active - since the vehicle's original/first in-service date... not from when you buy it...

if that 06 was actually sold and on the road sometime back in 05, then 3+ years of that warranty is gone already, and you only have 1.xx to 2 years of coverage left...
Shoot, good point. I'll definitly need to be keeping that in mind.

As for my "city" driving - google map McLean, VA

I don't mind if the seats don't offer much lateral support. Moreso, I want them to be comfy for long drives. I won't be road racing this car. Just spur of the moment passing power.

Those who drive in the snow and ice - what do you think?

Lastly, do you think I'm crazy for thinking I'll be able to pick one of these up for $15k +/- within the next year?

Thanks everyone.

Last edited by demonspeed; 09-04-2008 at 01:46 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you get a set of snow tires you will have no problem. If the stockers have good tread left you can even manage on those. My commute is less than a mile so I just make due with the stockers. But if you have a decent drive I'd suggest getting a set of snow tires. Buff makes it through Buffalo winters fine with snow tires and they get snow like 11 months a year there haha.

Since I've seen used 08's down near $20k you're probably not too crazy for wanting to pick one up for $15k.

For long drives the seats are pretty good, I just wish I had a little more leg room(I'm 6'3" and could use a tad more even with the seat allll the way back).
Old 09-04-2008, 03:22 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by 20SS07
If you get a set of snow tires you will have no problem. If the stockers have good tread left you can even manage on those. My commute is less than a mile so I just make due with the stockers. But if you have a decent drive I'd suggest getting a set of snow tires. Buff makes it through Buffalo winters fine with snow tires and they get snow like 11 months a year there haha.

Since I've seen used 08's down near $20k you're probably not too crazy for wanting to pick one up for $15k.

For long drives the seats are pretty good, I just wish I had a little more leg room(I'm 6'3" and could use a tad more even with the seat allll the way back).
The winters here in northern VA are nothing like they are a bit further north. I was raised in central PA, while nothing like northern NY, we defintely had "real" winters compared to what happens in this area. My traveling does consist of heading back to PA frequently, so that's my main concern for winter driving. If all it seems to be is a good set of tires (I use BFG all seasons on my GTO and it does great), then I am not concerned at all.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Now in the Impala, in the winter, your right foot will cook and your left foot will freeze because the heat duct blows on your rt foot. You won't be able to see the radio controls on a sunny morning because the auto headlights will not shut off and will keep the radio display dim and will be invisable with sunglasses on. You'll have to adjust the temp mode with two swipes of your finger/thumb and if you **** maybe a 3rd to keep them exactly even (the new Imp's have a tab on each "wheel" to eliminate this). You shouldn't have any trans problems though.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

The auto headlights thing really isn't a problem. Just turn them off.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

He's talking about the twilight sentinel keeps the headlights on way past sunrise. I do the same as you and shut the DRL's off every time I get in the car.

My M&D have an Imp, nice cars, can't stand the seats - they don't give any support. I had a GP (nice seats) for a rental, I'd get one of those in a V6 or V8 if I needed a 4-door.

The nice thing about the 10 ImpSS's is that it separates it from the other 278,000 LT's running around w/ SS spoilers. Wild what the rims do for that car. Even my M&D's car has a SS spoiler - my Dad raves on that car ...
Old 09-04-2008, 10:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

On my 06 Impala I could turn the twilight sent./auto head lights off and it would turn the headlights off, but would not brighten the inside display. I know of a few people who have the same complaint, maybe I missed something. I also forgot about the stone chips that the old Impala was so prone to getting. No bass in the Bose either. And, the cup holder situation was not so great either. However, those were all little things to overcome, the car ran pretty good and suprised alot of people, things like that made it a worthwile fun car.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hmm never noticed that. Then again it's been awhile now since I've had the stock HU in. Why dont ya just pull the DRL fuse, Kaz? That's what I did so I don't even have to turn them off anymore.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

If you care about fuel econ in the city you should look into a tune that lets you idle in only 4. I'm not sure if that is even possible, but it has always annoyed me sitting at a stop light with all 8 cylinders idling. That would have been a perfect time for GM to idle the cylinders.

Of course you do suffer a bit in pickup there since it takes a heartbeat for all 8 to come back online when the light turns green.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:25 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SILVER LS4
Now in the Impala, in the winter, your right foot will cook and your left foot will freeze because the heat duct blows on your rt foot. You won't be able to see the radio controls on a sunny morning because the auto headlights will not shut off and will keep the radio display dim and will be invisable with sunglasses on. You'll have to adjust the temp mode with two swipes of your finger/thumb and if you **** maybe a 3rd to keep them exactly even (the new Imp's have a tab on each "wheel" to eliminate this). You shouldn't have any trans problems though.
Had the car through 2 winters and never noticed an issue with one leg being heated more than the other...isn't a problem for me.

Turning "Auto Light Control" off brings my dash back up to full brightness...and it did the OEM (and aftermarket) radio, too. I agree that the system is a little sensitive, though...b/c they do seem to stay on when you wouldn't expect it, and turn on earlier in the evening than necessary.

Again, had the car for almost 3 full years now and never found it hard to adjust the temp...but digital auto climate control would be a nice upgrade for the Imp.

The auto headlights thing really isn't a problem. Just turn them off.
I agree.

Originally Posted by Kazmaniac
My M&D have an Imp, nice cars, can't stand the seats - they don't give any support. I had a GP (nice seats) for a rental, I'd get one of those in a V6 or V8 if I needed a 4-door.

The nice thing about the 10 ImpSS's is that it separates it from the other 278,000 LT's running around w/ SS spoilers. Wild what the rims do for that car. Even my M&D's car has a SS spoiler - my Dad raves on that car ...
Only the 2008+ Impala's got the SS spoiler. 2006-07 LS/LT/LTZ got their own less sporty spoiler.

Originally Posted by SILVER LS4
I also forgot about the stone chips that the old Impala was so prone to getting....And, the cup holder situation was not so great either.
Yeah, I've heard that the stone chips are pretty bad...but I didn't get too many.

The cup holder in the 2006 sucked. After 2006, they made it deeper. It was once a $14 part to upgrade. Now it's $80.

Originally Posted by 05CherryGXP
If you care about fuel econ in the city you should look into a tune that lets you idle in only 4. I'm not sure if that is even possible, but it has always annoyed me sitting at a stop light with all 8 cylinders idling. That would have been a perfect time for GM to idle the cylinders.
Pretty sure someone said it wasn't possible or adviseable given how long a car might idle in its lifetime. That much time in 4-cyl mode could cause things to freeze up in the long run.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why dont ya just pull the DRL fuse, Kaz? That's what I did so I don't even have to turn them off anymore.
I did that on my '03; '05 and '05 Imps, but I have 2 DRL fuse / relays in the under hood box on the MCSS - pulled both when I got the car and the DRLs stayed on - maybe I missed one? Which one did you pull?
Old 09-05-2008, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ohhh you're one of those strange guys haha. Most of the cars only had a fuse in the DRL2 location. If you pull that, you're golden. However several people have reported that they had a fuse in both locations, and for some reason just pulling the fuse on these cars doesn't kill them. Why it's different on some cars is beyond me. I know both Buff and I only had the one fuse, and that killed them for us. And I know it's not a Monte vs. Imp thing cause I remember one person with an Imp had 2 fuses too. And he has an 06 and me and 07 so it doesn't seem to be a year thing either.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BuffaloSS
The seats suck, but everything else is pretty good imo. For general D2D driving, the seats are actually OK, but w/o side bolsters, you'll find yourself leaning on the door or console when maneuvering aggressively. I'd consider the seats as my #1 pet peeve with this car.

Not sure how you'll manage, fuel economy-wise, but I do a ton of real city driving and get horrible gas mileage. I don't think it would be possible for me to obtain 18-19 in mixed driving unless I found a new job (that didn't require frequent stops at stopsigns/lights) or developed a lighter foot. If your idea of city driving means the occasional red light after cruising at 40mph, I could see you meet your goals.

Thats funny because I like the Impala seats for comfort more than mine Then again I'm not that small either...I tend to stay put when I sit.

The Gas pedal got wider in '08

Last edited by Count of Monte Carlo; 09-06-2008 at 01:27 AM.