Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock Deck Height for 5.3 vs 5.7 heads??

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2003, 10:01 AM
Motorboater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Stock Deck Height for 5.3 vs 5.7 heads??

I have a question. My motor took a dump, all my intake valves hit every piston.

The question involved weather or not maybe TEA gave me a head that was decked when I asked for stock deck height due to the lift on my cam.

The heads are at a very good shop right now having the valves ground and fixed. They said they can't CC test them even compared to a bone stock 5.3 head because the aftermarket valves will screw with the results. I borrowed a stock 5.7 head and brought it there and they physically measured the deck height from the head bolt hole to the surface on both the stock 5.7 and my 5.3 head and it was almost exactly the same, indicating the my 5.3 heads were just "cleaned up", nothing abnormal after porting.

My question obviously is would the deck height be the same between a 5.3 and 5.7 head? My logical assumption was yes, but I need to know for sure to get a solid handle on weather or not these tea heads were decked on me.

Thanks in advance
Old 09-04-2003, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Stock Deck Height for 5.3 vs 5.7 heads??

I believe they would be the same (unfortunately not absolutely sure), however what cam were you running? Have you ruled everything else out i.e. maybe the cam was degreed incorrectly (advanced) and with the combination of oversized valves created no P/V clearance? With a large cam it wouldn't have to be off by much. Are the specs correct on your cam card, esp. the ICL? Could be a few things.

Quick Reply: Stock Deck Height for 5.3 vs 5.7 heads??