Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Front End Squeeks!Like A Cheap Mattress

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 07:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front End Squeeks!Like A Cheap Mattress

I have a 2001 Camaro SS and recently the front suspension has developed a horrible squeek( kinda like that sum cut song).. each time I go over a bump..I have greased and lubed every possible friction point I could see and it didnt help..... i have noticed the sqeeking only starts after going over a speed bump or after a hard launch which causes the front end to raise...
Old 09-04-2008, 07:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well there are only a few places/components to check:
Control Arm Bushings
Ball Joints
Tie Rod Ends
Shock/Spring Isolator
Sway Bar Bushings
Sway Bar Endlinks.

Note in stock form, none of these are greasable. You may have to disassemble the front end and visually inspect each piece for damage/wear.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:38 PM
On The Tree

I had this problem and found it to be the upper strut mount isolator. $14 part but a pain to get to.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:32 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the replies I will take a look at everything you guys suggested(once I figure out what exactly they look like)...but on a completely different note, today on the way home front caliper bolts both broke causing the wheel to lock up..really sucked getting it home ..took about 5 times longer than normal..
Old 09-05-2008, 12:42 AM
TECH Addict

I had this problem on my car, it used to go away and come back randomly but I was told to grease the Sway Bar endlink and I did and the noise hasnt come back. Might want to try that.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Another good idea is to jack up one corner of the car at a time and listen for the noise. If you hear it, you may be able to isolate it to a certain location, which will make your search easier. That worked for me for determining which sway bar bushing needed to be replaced.
Old 09-06-2008, 03:35 PM
TECH Regular

thanks guys awesome input..I am pretty sure the sound is coming from the front left but then again the sound travels alot and its hard to pinpoint the source...
Old 09-06-2008, 03:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Another trick I've learned over the years is to saw off the end of a broom handle in a 2 foot lenght. Take the sawed off piece and place one end against the suspect part and then place your thumb over the other end and press your ear against your thumb. Think of it as a poor man's stethoscope. I've used this trick many times to figure out which pulley on the front of my LS1 is "squeeking."
Old 09-06-2008, 04:11 PM
TECH Regular

Haha yea ive done that before when I was trying to diagnose my engine ticking but I unwisely used a long metal drill bit which arced as soon as I touched the heads,But I did figure out I didnt reconnect one of my spark plugs