LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Happened upon a "sponsor" so to say..

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 02:35 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Happened upon a "sponsor" so to say..

ok gents, I happened into a fella with a lot of cash that wants to buy parts for me. We are talking about rear end and suspension right now. Here is what I have and where I am thinking of going. In a couple of weeks I am going to have a TD set up with the LPP stainless steel LT headers, over the axel and out the rear. Other than that, just a thermostat, strut tower brace, intake and a few other little goodies. I am planning on putting a big cam into it, a smaller shot of nitrous, and maybe a few other things. I am not trying to get over 450 to the rear wheels (I was thinking 400 originally, but now that I have "free" parts, I am shooting a little higher). I am not going to be drag racing it a lot, so she is going to be a beefy weekend cruiser.
What size rear end do I need for my goals? What about the cam? Suspension? She kicks real hard to the left when I launch, so I need to change some things back there. What do you all think I need to get? Think the best, price is not an issue (wish I would have known that before I bought the LPP headers, they are nice, but I would have gotten nicer). I need specifics (sizes, brands, ect) of what YOU WOULD DO if you had someone with millions just buying you some car parts. Not sure how long he is going to keep buying me parts, but I am going to run with it while I can. Give me a hand here fellas.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd ask him if he wants to buy my Mufflex spintech or my Tru Dual exhaust (see sig) for you
Old 09-05-2008, 02:52 PM
TECH Regular

yeah, you are a big help.

Seriously gents, what is your LT1 wish list if you were in my position?
Old 09-05-2008, 02:54 PM
On The Tree

Your going to need more than a cam to get 450rwh.

What would you have gained buying something different than the lpps? other than throwing some money away?

If you are going to get you exaust done you need to figure out what type of tq arm setup your going to purchase.

Go to UMI's site and figure out what you want they have a package, or even send him a message on here. Look thru the torque arm setup and you will see what I mean about the exhaust.

http://www.umiperformance.com/index.php
Old 09-05-2008, 02:56 PM
Launching!

cant go wrong with a 9 inch, if money really wasnt an option id send it off to linginfelter and have them build the motor.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:59 PM
TECH Regular

I already have the panhard bar replacement kit, I think that is what you are talking about. I planned out the whole TD thing months ago, because I saved the money up for it. That is getting done at CMS in a few weeks, so the exhaust is done as far as I am concerned, it is going to be a 2.5" pipes.
I am more worried about what rear end and suspension I am going to get. I think I already have my new brake/rotor set picked out. The intake is done, so now I am thinking suspension, rear end and maybe a few other things. I am kind of at a loss because he wants to start ordering parts here in a couple of days, and I have not really done any research yet. I just found this out a few hours ago. I did a ton of research on the whole longtubes and exhaust set up, because that was something I had already planned on doing right away. I figured I was going to have to save for at least another 6 months before I could afford to order the cam.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:02 PM
TECH Regular

he hasn't said he was willing to do something like sending the motor out. Right now all he has offered to do is order bolt ons and the such...
we have talked rear end, suspension, brakes/rotors, cam, and MAYBE nitrous. Maybe a different computer or MSD wires or something, but nothing like a rebuild. Right now I am just looking for parts, and I am not planning on going overkill, because all I am looking at doing is putting down 400-450 RWHP. Yeah that is a lot, but it is not INSANE or straight drag car numbers.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:19 PM
TECH Resident

If you aren't going to be drag racing you can just get a 12 bolt and be fine by Strange or Moser. Also you need to figure out the TA setup as mentioned earlier before you do exhaust. Some setups don't offer a lot of room to run true duals and have them tuck up nice. Panhard relocation is good for over the axle too so yu're set there. Tubular adjustable LCA's and double adjustable panhard rod are good. Get a good set of shock to go with whatever lowering springs you want. I run Hotchkis, but there are several out there. You have 17x9.5 TT2's? You will be fine with any drag radial on there for your power level. Brakes you can just do a Baer kit or C5 conversion. Here is a pic of my car so you can see what the Hotchkis springs look like.

Old 09-05-2008, 03:26 PM
Launching!

^^ dont think any after market brake kits fit with TTs without big spacers
Old 09-05-2008, 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

I dont see it anywhere but, what do you have currently? Thats pretty important....

And is this car going to be a straight up drag car? Streetability important?
Old 09-05-2008, 03:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you are kicking hard to one side at launch, a proper dialed in suspension should be at the top of your list.

LCAs, relos, PHB, adj tq arm, and a more stiff rear sway bar would be good places to start.

The specifics will depend on what you want your "weekend warrior" to do. A fat solid rear sway bar will be worth its weight in gold on a drag car, but in autocross it would cause the back end to come out at every turn.
Old 09-05-2008, 04:05 PM
10 Second Club

Give him my number cause i need an LSX swap or turbo upgrade
Old 09-05-2008, 05:58 PM
11 Second Club

If your not a girl and you dont race and some guy is willing to buy you parts. I would be scared of him and get as far away as possible.

If its someone you know/trust go for some LE2 heads and cam. Or a 9 inch rear end.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Out of curiosity why is this guy willing to buy you parts? Def awesome for you no doubt!
Old 09-05-2008, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AChotrod
If your not a girl and you dont race and some guy is willing to buy you parts. I would be scared of him and get as far away as possible.

If its someone you know/trust go for some LE2 heads and cam. Or a 9 inch rear end.
Good advice on watching out, you never know with people these days.

And also on the LE2 setup, thats what I plan to be going with this winter...
Old 09-05-2008, 06:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

uh, wierd situation, sounds a little fishy, but i would say moser 12 bolt, a little other suspension goodies, heads, cam, and, uh..............
Old 09-05-2008, 08:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Is this guy married by chance?.

Sara Lou
Old 09-05-2008, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Zralou
Is this guy married by chance?.

Sara Lou
Hahah, good question...

Where are these people when I need parts
Old 09-05-2008, 11:20 PM
TECH Resident

^^ im tellin ya! i wish this guy was around when i bought my Z and needed a **** load of parts!
Old 09-05-2008, 11:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by lt1 hawk
yeah, you are a big help.

Seriously gents, what is your LT1 wish list if you were in my position?
To be transplanted by an LS7. Quit dicking around with old technology.

Please don't flame me as you asked and I replied...

The LT motors are underdogs unless you play in your own back yard with only other LT motors.

It's a big world out there and if you rub an LS1 in the right place it will respond with 400+whp. Easily.

Been there-- have them both... just my .02.

Quick Reply: Happened upon a "sponsor" so to say..