LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

BLM issues, pulling hair out and need help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Exclamation BLM issues, pulling hair out and need help!!!

Ok guys, I have been going round and round with this split BLM issue where the passenger side is showing lean in datamaster and the driverside rich. The weird part is it only seems to be split quite a bit at low RPMs or at idle and when I drive the car it practically levels out on both sides. I know that an exhaust leak can introduce O2 into the stream tricking the O2 on that side causing the computer to enter a false lean condition and in response the PCM richens the mixture. Now I have checked/double checked and am not seeing any exhuast leaks and even spent the past day replacing the header gaskets with the Percy aluminum crush gaskets and locking all the header bolts down. I also replaced the O2s recently with Bosh (I KNOW I KNOW - most people hate them) and haven't seen any major issues with them and had the injectors flow checked, cleaned and matched. I have double checked every vacuum and don't see any leaks there either, replaced the spark plugs, and checked/triple checked all the sp wires/coils (delteq setup). No major intake leaks I can find (using the tb cleaner method), and EGR is all sealed up and cycles normally during driving. Could this be just bad 02s and is there any way to check them or check to make sure the PCM is getting the proper signal, also could it be a wire harness issue (injector or o2s)? My cam is pretty mild (CC305) and I should not be having this split BLM issue. Any suggestions are much appreciated and I have attached a datamaster recording so you can see what I am talking about. Please help and chime in as I am really getting frustrated/confused with this issue.
Attached Files
File Type: zip
Recorded 09_05_2008.zip (89.2 KB, 21 views)
Old 09-05-2008, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe this will help
Old 09-06-2008, 09:21 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First off your IAC is reading 100+. Ideally it should be 40-50 or so. You can adjust this with the set screw governing the blades on the throttle body. My tuner tweaked mine which was reading high too, and after that the splits improved. You might try that first and possibly consider going to a GM TB or reinstalling your 48mm for diagnostic purposes.

Also I have read time after time where aftermarket TB's cause strange problems. I am running a bored to 52mm GM TB and my BLM's at idle are very much in check.

I have also read where a leaky intake valve will cause the idle BLM's to go to pieces.

I saw the link about the copper tubing in the IAC outlet on the back of the TB. Not saying that wont work, but I don't see how it could help.

Also I am personally no fan of the Bosch O2 sensors. I had them and they crapped out in months. AC's are the best. Also might try swapping the O2's to see if the problem reverses.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hyperzone
Got a site like that for us 93 (92 vettes too) ECM guys? >_>
Old 09-06-2008, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wrd1972
First off your IAC is reading 100+. Ideally it should be 40-50 or so. You can adjust this with the set screw governing the blades on the throttle body. My tuner tweaked mine which was reading high too, and after that the splits improved. You might try that first and possibly consider going to a GM TB or reinstalling your 48mm for diagnostic purposes.

Also I have read time after time where aftermarket TB's cause strange problems. I am running a bored to 52mm GM TB and my BLM's at idle are very much in check.

I have also read where a leaky intake valve will cause the idle BLM's to go to pieces.

I saw the link about the copper tubing in the IAC outlet on the back of the TB. Not saying that wont work, but I don't see how it could help.

Also I am personally no fan of the Bosch O2 sensors. I had them and they crapped out in months. AC's are the best. Also might try swapping the O2's to see if the problem reverses.
Thanks for the input and I'm gonna give that a shot this week, and can't hurt to try the tubing trick as well. Also, I've heard that adding a bit of timing at idle can help. Anyone know anything about this as I am running around 27 before 1200 and was thinking of bumping it to 28-29 do you think this would help any?
Old 09-07-2008, 11:43 AM
TECH Addict

closed throttle timing? I run around 31* degreess in the 800-1200 rpm to take care of converter caused surge.

Generally IAC counts should be in the 25-30 range in neutral at HOT idle.

Do you have the stock fresh air hose assembly on the passenger side or a breather and the TB capped off?

I have split BLMS at idle, but not sure if they're caused by the leaky inline breather I have on the TB, the possible EGR tube leak at the header was the only other thing i can think of.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:11 PM
Staging Lane

Did you ever figure anything out with this? I am having split BLM issues also...with the passenger side being lean and the driver side being rich.
Old 09-29-2008, 07:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by buffman
closed throttle timing? I run around 31* degreess in the 800-1200 rpm to take care of converter caused surge.

Generally IAC counts should be in the 25-30 range in neutral at HOT idle.

Do you have the stock fresh air hose assembly on the passenger side or a breather and the TB capped off?

I have split BLMS at idle, but not sure if they're caused by the leaky inline breather I have on the TB, the possible EGR tube leak at the header was the only other thing i can think of.
I thought about a leaky EGR as well but they are new and sealed up tight. I only seem to have it at idle as she levels out once you get over 1200 RPM and during normal driving. This is really weird and I can't seem to figure it out, but not gonna worry about it now as she's not knocking and it's only idle. I do have the tube hooked up and have a breather where the oil filler neck used to be, think this could be an issue?
Old 09-29-2008, 07:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mean_greenz28
Did you ever figure anything out with this? I am having split BLM issues also...with the passenger side being lean and the driver side being rich.
Sorry to hear you are having the same issues, but I havn't figured it out yet. I have tried the throttle screw, new IAC and cleaned out the IAC ports as well - to no avail. It only happens at idle and she levels out under normal driving (see thread above). I decided not to drill out the IAC port as it looks perfictly fine and also not to go with the tube method some mention to help the air go straight into the plenum as the BBK TB's don't have the same cross overs as the ASM's and it should be sealed up tight. Any other suggestions you come up with I'd deff entertain as I am pretty much tired of trying to figure it out. Let me know what you find
Old 09-29-2008, 02:42 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DAVE00
Sorry to hear you are having the same issues, but I havn't figured it out yet. I have tried the throttle screw, new IAC and cleaned out the IAC ports as well - to no avail. It only happens at idle and she levels out under normal driving (see thread above). I decided not to drill out the IAC port as it looks perfictly fine and also not to go with the tube method some mention to help the air go straight into the plenum as the BBK TB's don't have the same cross overs as the ASM's and it should be sealed up tight. Any other suggestions you come up with I'd deff entertain as I am pretty much tired of trying to figure it out. Let me know what you find
Ok, will do. I think i am going to try and mess with the throttle screw too, and then if that doesn't help, try the stock 48mm throttle body. The base thats on my BBK is off the intake that i bought and i just realized that i don't know if it is any good.

Quick Reply: BLM issues, pulling hair out and need help!!!