LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

What the heck was this?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 02:22 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What the heck was this?

Earlier today I went to start my car (cold) to show my mom the new cutout and I had absolutely nothing from the ignition,no fuel pump,no starter,no lights in the gauge cluster.

Second try,same thing except I held in the start position for a few seconds,it spontaneously came to life while holding it there and started to turn over,but I let off before it would start.Third try,it started normally,but was barely holding idle at 400-500rpm,sounded like the dang thing was cammed,which was cool,but obviously this wasn't normal.Gave it a little gas,but the idle would come back down to 500ish.

Fourth try, took the key out completely,put it back and turned onto the ON position, had gauge lights and the fuel pump primed as normal,car started flawlessly and held a normal cold idle at 1,000ish rpm.Took it for a short drive,reached closed loop,came back home,turned it off,tried cranking again and it started good again and held a good warm idle.A couple hours later I went out again and the car started and idled as it normally should.

What happened? My first thought was that the resistor on my key might be wearing out,but I wouldn't think that would cause such an abnormal cold idle,so I have no clue.No SES or security lights.The positive battery cable was a little corroded when I was replaced the battery about 2 weeks ago,but I cleaned it off and put some anti corrosion stuff on it.Any ideas?

Thanks.
Old 09-06-2008, 02:26 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you just finish washing it? Maybe the opti got wet and dried off?
Old 09-06-2008, 02:45 AM
On The Tree

Nope haven't washed it in a few weeks,garaged car.It's been foggy here at night the past several nights (very high humidity),and the garage isn't air tight.I guess that could be it.
Old 09-06-2008, 02:50 AM
12 Second Club

Back in the day when i had an lt1, one of my radiator lines broke when i bottomed out and coolant hit a pulley and went everywhere. Car started doing your symptoms with the low rpms and cam like sound. I had a vented opti so once it dried i was fine. Some kind of moisture could have gotten in there. Who knows...
Old 09-06-2008, 02:58 AM
On The Tree

Heh,luckily I've got a vented opti too.I hope it's not on its way out already.That would put a nice dent on my wallet
Old 09-07-2008, 02:23 AM
On The Tree

bump, any other ideas?
Old 09-07-2008, 05:35 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Formula Freak
Second try,same thing except I held in the start position for a few seconds,it spontaneously came to life while holding it there and started to turn over,
I dont have any more ideas, but that ^ same thing happened to me once, then never again
Old 09-07-2008, 04:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by krill
I dont have any more ideas, but that ^ same thing happened to me once, then never again
I had the same thing happen, drove myself nuts trying to find the problem but it never happened again.
Old 09-07-2008, 05:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My guess is your ignition switch is going out, or the pill in your key, or either was just dirty and not making a good enough contact.
Old 09-07-2008, 05:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

I'm leaning toward the Ignition Switch.. that sounds like what it does when it's about to go. Basically the contacts are wore out and making a bad connection.

Mine did that and eventually it got bad to where it heated up melting the main power-in wire off of the Battery, and then it finially gave out, grounded out on the Steering Column, popped the Fusible Link under the Hood and left me motionless on the side of the Highway.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:34 PM
On The Tree

I haven't been able to duplicate the problem since it happened.Why would a faulty ignition switch cause an abnormal idle like that? Is replacing the ignition switch something a novice/beginner can do?

Thanks
Old 09-07-2008, 09:23 PM
Teching In

hows the connection on the power distribution block? I had a bad connection there before, and it my car did the same thing.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:30 PM
11 Second Club

I haven't been able to duplicate the problem since it happened.Why would a faulty ignition switch cause an abnormal idle like that? Is replacing the ignition switch something a novice/beginner can do?

Thanks
You have to take apart the lower Dash below the Steering Wheel, and honestly the easiest way is to remove the whole Steering Column..3 Bolts on the Fire Wall, 2 that hold the Column up, and one that is on the Linkage in the Engine Compartment. When you lower the Column you have better acess to unplug everything.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:38 PM
Launching!

Why would a faulty ignition switch cause an abnormal idle like that?
Because to some degree it tell other components that electricity is present. A so-so signal = so-so response. When my ign switch went out it basically did exactly what you described.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 954mula
Because to some degree it tell other components that electricity is present. A so-so signal = so-so response. When my ign switch went out it basically did exactly what you described.
Yep, sometimes all at once you get nothing....

Sometimes on/off.....on/off......on/off....
Old 09-07-2008, 09:48 PM
11 Second Club

^That's what mine did.. but only for a day then it all went to ****..
Old 09-07-2008, 11:04 PM
On The Tree

hmm, I guess I'll wait for it to start happening more frequently before I go trying to tackle it.Hopefully that was a one time thing like the others experienced.Thank you all...
Old 09-07-2008, 11:27 PM
TECH Veteran

if it does it when ur at home take ur key out rub the chip on the key with cotton swab and alcohol then blow dry it and try to start if it starts ur key is shot. if not then i would definately chase down ur ignition switch as the prob
Old 09-08-2008, 10:40 AM
Teching In

Ignition switch or coil, my coil went last year, it would idle real rough like 2 cylinders weren't firing, a you couldn't give it gas past 1500 RPM, just a thought. Buy a new one, swap it out, if it doeesn't fix it, return the new part you just bought, process of elimination. Just don't do what I did trying to replace it:
new opti, ignition module (maybe try this too), water pump-bearings shot, plug & wires-always a good idea, coil = $$$$$

Quick Reply: What the heck was this?