Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Popping noise When I hit Brakes hard/Turn wheels fully

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 03:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Popping noise When I hit Brakes hard/Turn wheels fully

Hey guys... Ever since I got my car this noise has happened. Either when I hit the brakes HARD, or if im turning around on my block or something, doing a 3 point turn, when i have to cut my wheels all the way. It makes a "pop" sound that I think is coming from the front. My sister was in the back of my car yesterday and said she felt it back there too. Idk what it could be.. I think maybe (if they came stock) a sway bar up front, or my sub frame connectors or something? I have no idea. I just replaced my shocks/springs so i'm stumped.
Old 09-06-2008, 03:11 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if your subframe connectors aren't tight enough (assuming bolt-in).. they can pop under hard acceleration, braking, potholes, etc.

if it's coming from the front i'd say it's probably a balljoint or something. maybe it's not tight enough (you said you had shocks replaced.. so i'm guessing that)
Old 09-06-2008, 03:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

If it's in the front, I would say ball joints too. Mine did that when they went bad. Every time I would stop at a stop sign or something, I would hear POP POP as both sides were bad.
Old 09-06-2008, 04:05 PM
TECH Regular

My car does the same thing...I think its the tie rods, so you should probally start there
Old 09-06-2008, 06:06 PM
11 Second Club

This occurred before the shock change too.. My only problem is i'm not a suspension genius. Is this something I wanna look into right away, like something could happen if I don't deal with it now? I just know that my car has sub frame connectors, previous owner didnt tell me if they were bolt on or weld on, and i've never looked for them, I wouldn't even know what they look like. I wouldn't know what to do for the ball joint or the tie rods either.

<-- Suspension noob
Old 09-06-2008, 06:34 PM
TECH Regular

Im in the same boat. although i figured out wherere the outer tie rods are,the inner one seems to be the problem i think.not even positive that the car has a inner tie rod
Old 09-06-2008, 07:02 PM
Launching!

jack up the front of the car (not by the oil pan). Get the wheels off the ground and grab the front wheels. Put your hands on the 9 and 3 position and push the wheel side to side. If you feel any looseness then you have some play in your steering / suspension somewhere. Probably tie-rods..

Put your hands on the 12 and 6 position and do the same thing. Check for any free play. If there is any, then it's generally probably a ball joint problem.

I would start there. Now, other things could cause there to be play in the wheels such as wheel bearings and such, but for now just check that out and get back to us. If you really care you can take your car to a shop to have it checked out, and they can definitely find the problem for you. It's a little difficult to see what's wrong unless you know where to look.
Old 09-07-2008, 02:11 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks ace, i'll see what i can do. My car is so damn low I gotta see if I can even get a jack under the front. I'm guessing wherever I should jack it up from is past the rubber air dam and idk if I could get that far. Unless there's somewhere to jack it up from?
Old 09-07-2008, 05:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a set of ramps that I pull the car up onto which gets the front end high enough so that I can get a jack under it. Then I jack the car up by the K-member.

Quick Reply: Popping noise When I hit Brakes hard/Turn wheels fully