Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

cleaning headlight lenses

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2003, 08:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default cleaning headlight lenses

Need suggestions on getting the haze off of the headlight lenses. What products do you use and what procedure. Any replies would be appreciated.
Old 09-04-2003, 08:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: cleaning headlight lenses

Eastwood Tools to the ----------> makes a headlight lens polshing kit just for that.
Old 09-05-2003, 02:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

i need that also, but people said that i just need to take car of my car!! ?????
Old 09-05-2003, 03:32 AM
On The Tree

My question is, does this product actually work? I'm in the same boat and really don't want to shell out 3 bills each for new lenses when the lights actually work fine.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:24 PM
Teching In

Sorry for a month late post but i just finished dehazing my headlights today because i really didnt wanna go for a ricey halo look and didnt really like any other headlights. I started researching a lot and got many many different methods. I read ranges of grit to use for sanding it from 600 to 2000. I tried a few different grits, starting with 2000 and slowly decreasing the grit. I finnally got mine to come up nice and clear after my third attempt. Here is how i did it. And trust me mine were in really really bad shape.

First i went out and bought 1000 grit sand paper and meguiar's plastic polish. roughly 12 dollars at pep boys.

I then took out the headlights to not scratch my brand new paint job.

Then i soaked the paper and the lights with water. then just took the paper and sanded my *** off. they will appear to look like they are getting foggier but keep sanding. i sanded till my elbow hurt and then sanded some more.

Then i got my neighbors power buffer and set it to low and used the polish. The buffer takes a long time to get the lights to come up good. I spent about 45 minutes on each light to make shure they were nice and clear.

If you dont get all the haze out after the first attempt, repeat the process and sand harder.

Mine look great now and im glad i didnt drop 100 bucks on headlights i didnt really want.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:59 AM
Banned

Wet sand 600, 1000, 1500, 2000, then 3m Perfect-It polish with a wool pad. I've done 2 sets of headlights like this, and both were not in the best shape. The last set in particular was a 98 car, with really nasty yellow scales on it. I almost considered not even bothering, but after I started sanding and got it smoothed out, I changed my mind pretty quick. The polish work excellent, but just about any automotive rubbing compounds will do just as good, and are much cheaper and easier to find. Whatever you do, don't give up when youre doing all the gurntwork of sanding. It is worth it!
Old 10-07-2005, 08:01 AM
Staging Lane

there is a sticky at the top of the page for this.....^
Old 10-07-2005, 06:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Quick Reply: cleaning headlight lenses