Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Problem Diagnosed

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 10:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Problem Diagnosed

I just put new TR55 plugs and already had msd wires. arter about 300 miles, now my car interior lights dim off and on, the speedometer acts like it had tarrets shaking or vibrating back and forth, when i just start out and turn my wheel and accelarate the car vibrates/ shakes a little. When i am at speed it feels like the car is missing or shorting out then reconnecting. I have ordered an aeroforce interceptor scanning guage and have checks the plug wires i can reach but i really don't feel like tearing it all appart if there is an easier way. Any suggestings or ideas?
Old 09-06-2008, 10:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Check ALL the plug wires if all feels good I would pull ALL of them and check to see if any are cracked or if one of the gap's is smashed to the electrode. You can put a little dap of dieletric grease on the spark plug top.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 always check the plugs and wires during a miss . a cracked plug will climb rpms but it will start to miss when getting on it in the rpms . sometimes will not throw a code if it is not too bad . sometimes the wires on the backs of the coil packs can get exposed or pinched and cause an electrical malfunction .
Old 09-07-2008, 09:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also check your plugs for the screw on terminals. I've seen some TR55 NGK plugs with those, and that's about the worst design I've ever come across. Those terminals loosen over time and cause all kinds of headaches.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
Also check your plugs for the screw on terminals. I've seen some TR55 NGK plugs with those, and that's about the worst design I've ever come across. Those terminals loosen over time and cause all kinds of headaches.
Locktite solves that problem
Old 09-07-2008, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by conan
Locktite solves that problem
But it creates another... Personally I would not use any type of thread sealer or locker on something that's supposed to be conductive.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:13 PM
On The Tree

probably a either cracked plug or wire that somehow burnt. ignition misfiring by arcing near any electrical component will give some weird emi issues really. it might not throw a light but still may have a pending code you can retrieve from any ordinary scan tool that might assist on cylinder number
Old 09-07-2008, 11:34 PM
Staging Lane

Kool guys thanks alot....i'll see how the scanning gauge works and if not i will have to go on in and check the plugs and wires. All were alot of help thanks!