LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 stumbles badly under light/moderate acceleration..

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 10:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 stumbles badly under light/moderate acceleration..

I recently bought a '93 z28, stock other than an exhaust cutout and a k/n intake. It actually broke down on the way home from buying it. (bad omen huh?) The RPMs bounced up and down and it died. Let it set for an hour and it started up fine. Now two months later I've had it start stuttering and stumbling when you accelerate, getting worse and worse overtime. Changed the plugs, put in a new TPS, and its just getting worse. I would have thought its the opti but it revs just like normal in neutral and park... this makes me think its not the fuel pump or fuel injectors so I'm lost and need help before I take it to a shop... please help!
Old 09-06-2008, 11:13 PM
Staging Lane

Is it throwing a SES code at all?

I've had these symptoms several times with my car. The first time around it would almost seem like it was getting "stuck" around 2k RPM, and then all the sudden it would surge with power. Replaced a fouled O2 sensor and it worked just fine.

About a month ago, the car would bounce around the RPM range when driving, but not in idle. I'd be driving and all the sudden the car would feel like I had tapped on the brakes. I had it die a couple times on me as I was coming to a stop, but it would always start back up. Turns out I had a huge crack on the underside of my rubber intake elbow near the TB. Replaced that with a smooth elbow, no problems since!

Check all the little rubber couplers on your intake, it doesn't take much to have a leak!
Old 09-06-2008, 11:18 PM
Teching In

Nope, no lights or anything, it does just like you said, bounces around...now that i think about it I was messing with the elbow after I got it...alright I'll try that in the morning, thanks alot.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:32 AM
Launching!

willing to be its a bad o2 sensor. check the wires going into it. i broke the ground on mine and it exactly what yours is doing. fixed the wire and it runs perfect.

aaron
Old 09-07-2008, 09:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bowtie_Aaron
willing to be its a bad o2 sensor. check the wires going into it. i broke the ground on mine and it exactly what yours is doing. fixed the wire and it runs perfect.

aaron
Willing to bet its an O2 sensor here also, they do that and dont throw codes sometimes. It could also be the opti sputtering, but usually when they start cutting the car off and falling all over the place they throw codes...
Old 09-07-2008, 10:17 AM
TECH Regular

there is a SMALL chance that your cat is clogged or melted. Something similar to me happen, and I had to gut my cat as a stopgap to get me by till my exhaust goes in.
Old 09-07-2008, 03:47 PM
On The Tree

is it really oily and dirty around the ignition control module or coil?... it sounds like a week coil.. since it revs in park fine put it in drive and have someone power break it... check to see if the coil is sparking though itself or if anything else is sparking
Old 09-07-2008, 07:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

im going with coil also.My car acted all kinds of stupid when the $50 msd coil went bad

Quick Reply: LT1 stumbles badly under light/moderate acceleration..