LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Putting Nitrous On My Car Tomorrow...

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 09:32 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Putting Nitrous On My Car Tomorrow...

Here's the story:

A friend of a friend has a fox-body that he is claiming has a 347. He was claiming a ton of car over the phone and wanted to race me, I said ok, but its just a bolt-on LT1 if you're happy beating a car this much slower than yours. He comes over to the house because he wants to see my car. I let him look at it and start it just to prove my car is what I told him over the phone since he didn't seem to believe me. So now that that's over with here's the funny part...

He shows me his car and this thing is rock stock with exhaust. I knew I couldn't hear a cam when he pulled up, but with as much work as he was claiming over the phone, I wasn't expecting a stock car. This thing has dual exhaust, shifter, and a f'n 5" tach. I ask the guy if he wants to put money on the race, and of course he says no. I was really wanting to get him committed and hustle him, but he won't race for money. He also wouldn't race the car tonight. Says he has to get the tach working and he'd race me on Friday.

My old roomate has a nitrous kit laying around, (I'll probably end up buying) so I'm going to put it on my car tomorrow. I know it will be ugly if I race this fox N/A, but I just want to dust this guy so bad he never even considers racing another F-body again. I have a low tolerance for idiots and people that just blow smoke about what they have, so I want to show him what a 180,000 mile "bolt-on" LT1 will do. I'm really hoping that I don't just blow tires off with this, but I'll be on a drag radial. Still could be a problem, but I'll TNT before I go spray on the race with the fox.

I was wondering if there are any tech aides or if anyone could offer words of advice.... I have only messed with them on LS cars, so this will be sort-of new for me. I'm sure its not much different, but I'm just looking for words of advice or a decent tech aide I could refer to in case of problems. I consider myself to be pretty mechanically inclined, especially on F & Y-body cars so I really just need something to refer to if I have questions on the spot.

***The kit is a universal EFI NX kit with an MSD window switch, which I don't believe has the 1st gear lockout with it (not 100% sure). I'll be spraying 125 through it on NGK TR6s. Anything I'm overlooking?
Old 09-07-2008, 09:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

I don't know anything about the N20.. I wish that I could help.

Personally I'd just stick with the bolt-ons. Kill him with that and be done with him.
He's a ***** anyways claiming he can't run cause of his Tach..he knows that he's goin to get smoked.

We had a guy here out at the street races talking **** to me for 2 weeks. He is a diehard N20 guy..that's all he believes in. His car was a late 80's Stock 5.0 Hatchback with a Baby Cam and a 200 Shot.
The night we ran he came out with Slicks, I had mine on as well. He talked all kinds of ****..he said he'd give me his car if I won.
We lined up, the flagger signaled and I tore his *** up about 6 lengths at 120mph..with just a "Bolt-on Stroker".
I told him to keep his piece of ****.. I didn't have a way to get it to the Scrap Yard to get what it's worth out of it..

He didn't say a word after that and everyone ragged his *** to the point of where he wouldn't come out anymore..lol
Old 09-07-2008, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by the_merv
He didn't say a word after that and everyone ragged his *** to the point of where he wouldn't come out anymore..lol
Everyone with a 5.slow thinks they have something great, got lots of them around here....
Old 09-07-2008, 10:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Fixxer99TA
Everyone with a 5.slow thinks they have something great, got lots of them around here....
Its funny because its true. Even here, buddy at work has a capri(same thing lol) with a supposed built 5.0. Cam, headers, exhaust, heads..etc... All he did was talk crap about everything else on the road. Even before he seen my camaro he talked it down. One day we were leaving work and i told him to light em up, he revved, dumped the clutch, chirped then stalled out.. ... Never laughed so hard in my life, he blamed the pavement that was just layed. Asked me if i could do better, i let er rip through first and second leaving like a 40 foot patch. He wont even race me now after i showed him the dyno sheet and took him for a ride haha.... LT1LUV

EDIT: LT1 LUV... I think im going to try and get that as a custom plate next year
Old 09-07-2008, 10:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know exactly what questions you have but if you need wiring diagrams you can look here:http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewga...php?carid=3821

I'd look for your specific diagram but I don't know what all you will be running.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:02 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

My first kill when I bought the car was this guy in a yellow Hatch 5.0

I took it out the first night for a cruise and waxed his *** off of a stoplight by the Mall..

Bone stock 1995 LT1 on some shitty street tires..lol
Old 09-08-2008, 01:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

The install should be easy, just check your fuel pressure & make sure its up too par.

As for that furd, i would line up with him N/A & just kick his ***, i don't get much smack from any mustangs, i beat most of them, I really love these LT1s & of coarse my Camaro, I'm a die hard MOPAR guy & always have been, but i'll say these LT1s WILL run, i'm at a best of 13.55 with mine & 158K too boot, GM did there homework when they built this engine, for a SB pulling 3600+ lbs. its a runner, i truely love this car, the looks/performance/handleing, Soooo, go kick his asssssssss N/A
Old 09-08-2008, 09:12 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just be sure to have the AFR looked at after the install to be sure it's running properly. If you are getting a "good deal" on it, look into a bottle warmer and a purge kit.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:00 PM
Launching!

Fuel pressure will be checked and so will the A/F, I've already got plans to make sure that will all be in check for safety reasons. That will all be taken care of before I start spraying whenever I want. My only problem is that this is kind of spur-of-the moment for me. I usually research what I'm doing before I go to wrenching, but surely these aren't a whole lot different than an LS1. Just looking for schematics or words of advice to refer to in case I do get stuck or have a question on the install.

I know I could beat him N/A, but the kids an idiot and this gives me and excuse to spray the car and not look back. I've been considering it for awhile anyway. I have a feeling I'll be hooked after I spray it once. Just one of those things that I want to do for one simple reason- because I can.

I'm getting the full kit with the window switch and purge kit already with it for $300. I don't think I can really go wrong there. There wasn't anything wrong with it when it was pulled, so $300 sounds like a good deal to me with the couple of extras. I'd still like to get a bottle warmer and possibly a remote opener, but I believe I have everything to have a "safe" kit.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:02 PM
Launching!

Oh, and I broke my laptop for work. The metal ring to plug in the charger fell out, haha. Nothing wrong with it other than the battery is dead until I get it fixed. I'll have a desktop around if I need it, so any information is appreciated reguardless of whether or not I actually need it.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

TR6 plugs and that's it If you WANT to retard timing, it won't hurt anything, but it's not needed with 125shot

Pony drivers are quite odd, I'm sure it's some sort of disease to own a newer one and talk **** when they have nothing to back it up with. There was a guy like that when my friend had a 200K + 305 in his S10, that WAS siezed and we freed up, stuck a 327 tow cam in it and that is it. Didn't refreshen it, put bearings in it, just gaskets a paint job and carb. SMOKED that lamer.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Formula350
TR6 plugs and that's it If you WANT to retard timing, it won't hurt anything, but it's not needed with 125shot

Pony drivers are quite odd, I'm sure it's some sort of disease to own a newer one and talk **** when they have nothing to back it up with. There was a guy like that when my friend had a 200K + 305 in his S10, that WAS siezed and we freed up, stuck a 327 tow cam in it and that is it. Didn't refreshen it, put bearings in it, just gaskets a paint job and carb. SMOKED that lamer.
Already got them.

The kid isn't really talking ****. Just full of it. We all know people like that. I just can't stand someone blowing smoke like that. It makes my head hurt, and I'm a car salesman haha.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:51 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice, since you have the purge kit snap a shot after the race of you purging your lines onto his car and post it up as your pic..lol
Old 09-08-2008, 02:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Does he have gears? A bolt on fox body with 4.10s will wax a bolt on LT1
Old 09-08-2008, 03:22 PM
Launching!

I highly doubt he has gears. He claimed everything else that he obviously didn't have. I would think if he had gears he would have mentioned them. From what I've seen I can tell the car has a shifter and exhaust. I'm really not worried about the race, I just thought it was funny how much smoke he was blowing without anything done to the car.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 97Z28LT1
I highly doubt he has gears. He claimed everything else that he obviously didn't have. I would think if he had gears he would have mentioned them. From what I've seen I can tell the car has a shifter and exhaust. I'm really not worried about the race, I just thought it was funny how much smoke he was blowing without anything done to the car.
I wouldn't doubt that the previous owner said it had all this, and he's just quoting the other guy, but in reality he hasn't a clue about cars and wouldn't know a TPS sensor from a Trunk Latch.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Formula350
I wouldn't doubt that the previous owner said it had all this, and he's just quoting the other guy, but in reality he hasn't a clue about cars and wouldn't know a TPS sensor from a Trunk Latch.

LMAO that was awesome
Old 09-08-2008, 08:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

single stage w/ window switch:http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewga...ewimg&id=58515

Purge (only pay attention to the purge part):http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewga...ewimg&id=59564
Old 09-08-2008, 10:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by porksoda
single stage w/ window switch:http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewga...ewimg&id=58515

Purge (only pay attention to the purge part):http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewga...ewimg&id=59564
Thanks man, I'll use that to double check my work. My lines from my solenoids were a little long but I'll get them shortened down eventually. I got to get a camera haha. Anyway I gotta fill up the bottle, finish the toggle switches, and change the plugs and she's ready to spray! I'm going to try and get that part done tomorrow evening, but we'll see what happens. I never know when I have to work and for how long. Today turned out nice, though.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:21 AM
Ray@Nitrous Outlet

Let me now if you need any help....will do what I can to help my fellow LT1'ers

Quick Reply: Putting Nitrous On My Car Tomorrow...