Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Quick Sway Bar Question

Old 09-08-2008, 12:33 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick Sway Bar Question

Does the sway bar ever move? Well to clarify, I have a Moser 9 inch and I just put some washers on the stock sway bar clamps and have mangaged to get about a 1/4 inch clearance from the axles (both sides)...Is a 1/4 inch good?As long as the sway barn not touching anything while the cars parked it should be fine???

Side Note:The sway bar was installed upside down(dont ask me how)!!so after fixing that and tighting everything real tight the cars handling has improved drastically, and thumping has decreased alot
Old 09-08-2008, 07:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you mean, does the sway bar move from side to side, the answer is "no....it shouldn't". The bushings are usually placed at the point of the bar where it bends 90 degrees, and forms the "arms". These bends act as limiters for the bar to move side to side, assuming the bushings are placed correctly at that point.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:00 PM
TECH Regular

so since my sway bar is not touching the rear end at all, It shouldnt be the cause of the noise I hear when going over bumps
Old 09-08-2008, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

If the rear sway bar moves much at all, you didn't install it correctly. What other mods do you have done to the suspension? I tracked my rear suspension noise to the adjustable panhard bar, the jam nuts required some serious strength and loc-tite to keep from loosening. Also, check your shock mounting points and LCA's/SFC's.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:28 PM
TECH Regular

The sway bar is in place and isnt moving in a bad way. All the bushings and clamps are in place and the nuts are all tight...I think I can rule that out for the noise....I had someone push the car up and down and I did not hear any rattling or clunking coming from any of the suspension parts, so I believe that something is only making noise when I hit a bump

I have a moser 9inch and everything else is stock

Search this Thread