Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

water line to throttle body - needed?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 08:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water line to throttle body - needed?

There is a water line that is supposed to be hooked up from the radiator to the bottom of the throttle body. I assume it is to warm the throttle body? How necessary is it? To hook this into my radiator would be a big PITA.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not necessary. Its a throttle body heater. Makes the intake air charge warmer. Take it off. It actually hurts power a small amount.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:29 PM
Launching!

Ditto on it not being needed. (Mine is disconnected)

However, I can't help but to wonder why it's there in the first place. I can't see that it does anything for emissions, so my next guess would be that it helps for those with cars in colder climates...
Old 09-08-2008, 10:11 PM
Teching In

Isn't the setup that the heads both have steam vents at their tops - hard lined together, then through throttle body, into radiator? Purpose is to get air out of the coolant system. Do not need to go through throttle body (also understand there for cold climate cars), but should route the two head steam lines back into coolant system somewhere (recall I ran mine to an adapter in one of the heater lines).

I think I have heard some just cap them off and works for them ....
Old 09-08-2008, 10:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

cap of the lines or cut them off for cleaner look
Old 09-08-2008, 11:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As Cam72aro stated. Not really needed, unless you use the car as a DD in the winter or Cold climates.. Then it might be of some advantage... Quicker Warm up.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:40 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You can bypass the TB, the coolant line only goes through the TB to warm it up in cold weather for better driveability/emissions.

You should still connect a line from the steam ports on the heads to the radiator. Those ports are there to bleed any air out of the tops of the heads. Some people say that you can get away with capping them off and just bleeding them when you fill the engine with coolant.. but if you run it like that and an air bubble gets in the engine it could get trapped at the top of the heads and create an air pocket/hotspot
Old 09-09-2008, 06:42 AM
Staging Lane

I thought about routing the steam lines to the top of the radiator overflow reservoir - would that work, or would there be too much pressure bleeding off?
Old 09-10-2008, 01:10 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You cannot run it to the overflow tank unless it is a pressurized tank. If it is not it will continue to fill the overflow tank until it empties the coolant out of the radiator.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:42 PM
Staging Lane

yeah, thats what I was afraid of. Guess I will tap the top of the water pump. Thanks for the help!
Old 01-25-2009, 09:41 AM
On The Tree

Default where is the air comming from?

there is lots of talk about air or steam in the system. if it is properly filled where is the air comming from? I have a snap on tool that actually pulls the cooling system into a vacuum and then fills it to avoid any air pockets in the engine. wouldn't that work?
Old 01-25-2009, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

I gotta figure the GM engineers had a reason for putting the lines for steam release in there. They generally don't spend production time and money on things that are not needed. My thought is you are taking a risk if you block them.

Pat
Old 01-25-2009, 10:16 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Where the steam is coming from is the fact that some of the Coolant will boil in the top of the Heads, it just does. That steam rises and goes through the lines, and it condenses pretty much in the lines and turns back to Coolant. As far as air goes, anything can happen.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blownmiata
yeah, thats what I was afraid of. Guess I will tap the top of the water pump. Thanks for the help!
I wouldn't do that. Best bet would be to have a nipple soldered into the radiator (assuming it not a plastic radiator) just below the radiator cap. Any air/steam that gets trapped needs needs to ge to the highest point in the cooling system. Tapping the top of the water pump will try to force water in the heads instead of letting trapped air vent. The reason for these is the same as the reason GM drilled steam holes in the heads of the 70s SB 400s. with heads with the proper holes drilled in them a street driven 400 would overheat everytime.

Re'
Old 01-25-2009, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

GM actually plumbed some trucks into the heater hose near the water pump so it does not need to be plumbed in that high. Water pump connection works fine, I have mine on top, have seen others done on the front of the pump. Of course, different swaps have different needs.

Pat
Old 01-25-2009, 07:34 PM
Launching!

Do a search here. There's been plenty of posts on where to put the steam line. Either drill and tap the top of the WP, or put a provision on the radiator. I had a spot in my afco radiator so I just screwed in a nipple and attached the hose..

Tails
Old 01-26-2009, 05:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The fact is a lot of people have blocked the vents without any of the problems everyone else is guessing at.

I unbolted one to let the air out while filling the cooling system. Took forever otherwise.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:43 AM
11 Second Club

The reason the vent is there is to prevent icing of the throttle blade and the TB bore in cold climates. Its similar to the leading edges of aircraft wings having high temperature engine exhaust running through them.

I drilled a hole in the water neck (truck water pump) and cut the barb off another crossover. I had the barb welded to the water neck, it works great and looks real clean
Old 01-26-2009, 12:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ryanvv355
The reason the vent is there is to prevent icing of the throttle blade and the TB bore in cold climates. Its similar to the leading edges of aircraft wings having high temperature engine exhaust running through them.

I drilled a hole in the water neck (truck water pump) and cut the barb off another crossover. I had the barb welded to the water neck, it works great and looks real clean
I have a 5.3 also and was looking at the water neck as a possible place to locate it. got any pics? did they weld or braze the fitting to the neck?
Old 01-26-2009, 01:06 PM
11 Second Club

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...cutlass-6.html

Post #115

Quick Reply: water line to throttle body - needed?