Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Degreeing Cam/ Rollmaster problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2003, 11:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Degreeing Cam/ Rollmaster problems

Just wondering if anyone has had any problems with the dot allignment with Rollmaster multi-key timing set. I'm degreeing my cam and both intake and exhaust open and close are 4 degrees retarded compared to the timing card. This is a Comp custom gring and I have already contacted them. I verified TDC about a dozen times with the same results each time. There are 2 dots on crank sproket. One over the center or what Rollmaster calls the "standard" keyway and there are 4 keyways on each side of it. This keyway is where the crank key is installed. The Cam sproket and the crank sprocket were installed "dot to dot" of course. I know if I advance or move the crank 2 keyways to the left it should solve the problem. But, that will make a key without the dot the "standard" key leaving 4 degrees of advancement 12 degrees of retard.

Any input is appreciated, unless you don't know what you are talking about...
Old 09-05-2003, 05:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Re: Degreeing Cam/ Rollmaster problems

Someone has to have installed one of these....?
Old 09-05-2003, 06:34 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I installed mine, but I got my cam the way I wanted it. Didn't want to mess with advance, retard and P/V issues associated with it. I installed dot-to-dot and am having no issues related to the chain.
Old 09-05-2003, 11:03 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just installed one a few weeks ago maybe a month time flies, but the single dots lined up for me so I am kinda lost as to your problem. did you note where your dowl pin on the cam was located when you removed the other and compare that to what you have now? I looked at everything before removing and it worked great no issues so maybe your cam is off (Not likely) but not unherd of.Pic would help me understand it could be that I've been up to long (Worked14hrs)to understand what your asking. Let me get this strait you are trying to install the cam stait up? And after that it reads to be retarded 4 Deg. If so the only option if you are 100% sure is to advance the cam by moving it two keyway over(strait up now) and if you want to add some(+2 or+4) advance then over as much as you want to advance it. If the cam is big be very careful to check P/V clearance when advancing it. I do not know nothing about the motor you are working on so it puts me guessing stock or milled heads ETC... Hope my ramblings helped if they didn't sorry I am a visual person so it is hard for me to understand what you are talking about with out seeing it.
Old 09-05-2003, 11:15 PM
Launching!

I'd trust your measurements over the dots.. I've got a double rollmaster about to go in with my comp cam.. In your situation, either comp goofed, or your timing set is off, or your measurments are off. It sounds like you're confident in your measurments, so I would use those. After hearing this, I'm going to get a cam degree kit. I don't want to be off 4 degrees... or 1 for that matter... too much to risk..
Old 09-06-2003, 03:42 AM
On The Tree

I would reckon the cam is out. If the thing is still apart- why don't you put the std set on and degree with it? will soon tell you what is wrong. I get some really funky cam cards here from time to time.

Which everway it really isn't going to matter as long as you get the cam to where you want it.
Old 09-06-2003, 11:52 AM
TECH Addict

When you ADVANCE or RETARD the cam timing by using a NON STANDARD keyway that does NOT change the STANDARD keyway. The STANDARD keyway ALWAYS remains the STANDARD keyway. It just means you are using a NON STANDARD keyway, either advance or retard. Your posting is a little ambiguous, but if you want to advance timing you use one of the keyways to the left of the STANDARD "DOT" position. You MUST maintain the SAME RELATIONSHIP when using a NON STANDARD keyway as exists between the STANDARD crank sprocket tooth "DOT" and the STANDARD crank sprocket keyway "DOT". This is approx 2 3/4ths crank sprocket teeth. Check out this relationship for yourself to be sure. The instructions from Rollmaster leave a lot to be desired when it comes to detail on advance or retard of the cam. Once you decide to advance the cam by choosing the NON STANDARD keyway you want you put the crank sprocket on the snout of the crank. The cam has NEVER moved during any of this process. The "DOT" on the cam is ALWAYS at 6:00 o'clock during the timing process. You will find that you will have to rotate the crankshaft slightly CCW to get the two "DOTS" to line up if you are adding advance. Retarding the crank has the effect of advancing the cam. Of course there is no "DOT" on the NON STANDARD tooth that is ASSOCIATED with the new NON STANDARD keyway you have selected to advance your cam to so you must paint on a new psuedo "DOT" with WHITEOUT or a felt tip pen. Now you align the mark (psuedo "DOT") on the crank sprocket with the "DOT" on the cam sprocket which is still at 6:00 o'clock. This isn't as complicated as it sounds
Old 09-06-2003, 02:35 PM
FormerVendor

Steve, do you have the heads off?