Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Replacing rear shocks..? Air shocks

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 09:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Replacing rear shocks..? Air shocks

Hey guys.

Well I recently spent a decent amount of money to put KYB shocks in and coil springs because I had QA1 coil overs and my rear would constantly hit the bump stops hard when i hit a bad bump. and now it STILL does it. It's pretty bad, the sound and feel of it goes right through you.

On my old camaro I had the same problem. So i'm either going to: A) Put in air shocks, or B) put in drag bags which are inflatable bags you put in the coil spring.

I've never done shocks before but I have heard the rears are really easy.
If i'm just doing shocks, don't I just have to raise the back up, take the wheels off, unbolt from the top, and unbolt from the axle, and take the shock out and replace? Or do I need to take the spring out or anything else?

Thank you
Old 09-10-2008, 09:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You don't need to remove the wheels.

http://ls1howto.com/index.php?article=8
Old 09-10-2008, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

You don't even need to take the wheels off (probably have more room if you do though). Just support the back (jackstands on frame), jack up the rear end to full compression, undo the top shock nut, slowly lower the rear, and remove the lower shock bolt. That's it.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 94'BLKBRD
You don't need to remove the wheels.

http://ls1howto.com/index.php?article=8
Beat me to it!
Old 09-10-2008, 11:15 PM
11 Second Club

k so jack the car up and put some jack stands under.. Then I put the jack directly under the rear end? How much do I jack up into the rear end?

Thanks guys
Old 09-11-2008, 01:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 98 WS6
k so jack the car up and put some jack stands under.. Then I put the jack directly under the rear end? How much do I jack up into the rear end?

Thanks guys
It explains it on the link I posted
Old 09-11-2008, 04:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey guys.

Well I recently spent a decent amount of money to put KYB shocks in and coil springs because I had QA1 coil overs and my rear would constantly hit the bump stops hard when i hit a bad bump. and now it STILL does it. It's pretty bad, the sound and feel of it goes right through you.
What springs do you have, and are you sure you have bumps stops in the rear?
Old 09-11-2008, 09:55 PM
11 Second Club

I have LT1 Pro kit springs.. and idk. all I know is that ever since I bought the car my rear slams on every bad bump, and i've really had enough so i'm bringing the rear up a little.. i'm either using air shocks or i'm putting drag bags in the springs. I was driving before and hit one hard, it always seems to be my rear right tire that gets it. It began to smell like rubber because I assume my tire rubbed against something and it smelled horrible. I'm gonna break something if I don't do anything about it..

Last edited by 98 WS6; 09-11-2008 at 10:02 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:04 PM
11 Second Club

Could lower control arms, relocating brackets, tubular K member or subframe connectors contribute to this at all? Sometimes when I hit a bump bad it sounds like someone is shaking the living crap out of everything.. like somethins about to fall off.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Could lower control arms, relocating brackets, tubular K member or subframe connectors contribute to this at all? Sometimes when I hit a bump bad it sounds like someone is shaking the living crap out of everything.. like somethins about to fall off.
LCA's hurt ride quality and will usually cause clunks.
Tubular K member is front suspension, and subframe connectors may contribute to NVH, but shouldn't be the cause of this.
First thing I would do is make sure everything is installed correctly(and make sure you are not missing things, like bump stops), and tightened down to the right specs.
What rear end do you have?
You said your previous Camaro did this, what year and what suspension mods did it have, if any?
Old 09-12-2008, 03:05 PM
11 Second Club

I still have the stock rear.. I was planning on jacking the car up to take a look at things today but it's raining unfortunately..

My Camaro was a different story. I meant to say I had a problem with bumping in my camaro, not the same thing. I had bigass wheels on my camaro so they would hit. I just used air shocks to raise the car away from the tire. Where are the bump stops and what do they look like?!

I hope I can figure this out somehow.. Should I make sure my LCA and sub frame connectors are all tightened down enough or do they need specific specs?
Old 09-12-2008, 03:08 PM
11 Second Club

Oh yeah, and it always seems like the right rear side is worse for some reason, unless it's just me.
Yesterday I hit a bad bump and smelled rubber.. So my guess is the tire hit the wheelwell(?) or something that made the rubber burn. Wouldnt bump stops prevent this if I had them?

Thanks for the help JD
Old 09-12-2008, 03:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

I still have the stock rear.. I was planning on jacking the car up to take a look at things today but it's raining unfortunately..

My Camaro was a different story. I meant to say I had a problem with bumping in my camaro, not the same thing. I had bigass wheels on my camaro so they would hit. I just used air shocks to raise the car away from the tire. Where are the bump stops and what do they look like?!
Bump stops in the rear look like this:

You can see it directly under the "u" in "university".
If this is not here your axle may be hitting the underside of your car, or your shocks may be hitting their bump stops.
But since better shocks didn't help I don't think this is the issue.

I hope I can figure this out somehow.. Should I make sure my LCA and sub frame connectors are all tightened down enough or do they need specific specs?
Yes, they need to be torqued down to spec (search for that, I don't remember off the top of my head, and I'm sure it varies depending on the manufacturer and if you have poly or rod end.)

Oh yeah, and it always seems like the right rear side is worse for some reason, unless it's just me.
Yesterday I hit a bad bump and smelled rubber.. So my guess is the tire hit the wheelwell(?) or something that made the rubber burn. Wouldnt bump stops prevent this if I had them?

Thanks for the help JD
Do you have an adjustable panhard bar? If not you should probably look into one, it will recenter your rear end after being lowered, some people have rubbing issues without it.
Old 09-13-2008, 07:18 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
.....Do you have an adjustable panhard bar? If not you should probably look into one, it will recenter your rear end after being lowered, some people have rubbing issues without it.
I agree.

Quick Reply: Replacing rear shocks..? Air shocks