Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Need help with oil issue!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 12:41 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help with oil issue!!!

Thought about posting this in the internal engine area but since I'm not sure of the problem and I have turbos figured it would be safe to do it here.

Here's the situation:
A couple of weeks ago I noticed oil under the car. Saw it was coming from my oil return line where it is plumbed into the oil pan on the passenger side. No biggie as there wasn't much there. I'll get it fixed. Well then we noticed it was coming from the elbow where it enters the pan and the fitting that connects to the elbow. Still not to bad as it is a small drip.

The other day I took the car out and the wife followed me. About 10 min's into the drive we both noticed smoke coming from the car. Not like something was on fire but oil burning. So I pulled over and shut her down. Again nothing but a small drip. Never lost oil pressure either. Well when we went home the same thing. I figured maybe the leak gets worse when I drive and it was spraying all over the exhaust which both pipes run right by the fittings and dump under the passenger seat. So maybe the oil is getting all over the pipes and the hot pipes are causing the smoke . So I park it and leave it.

Now today I go to move it so I can work on it. As soon as I start it, smoke starts coming from both valve cover breathers and from under the car. Not pouring but more than enough to notice. Well the pipes weren't even hot enough to cause it, now what? So I moved it, parked it, and put it on jack stands. The oil pan was hot longer than the exhaust. I drained the oil after everything cooled and the oil was still pretty warm. Is that normal?

Anyway we are going to fix the leak by the fitting but any ideas why the car starts smoking as soon as it is started? Never did that before and I still have normal oil pressure and all my gauges read normal. I am really confused and concerned. So any input on possibilities would be extremely helpful. This ever happen to anyone else? Anything I should be careful to check with the turbos?

Thank you!
Old 09-11-2008, 08:04 AM
Banned

Jason

The breathers will always have a little smoke out of them as they get oil saturated over time. The cooler weather could also make it look worse.

if you can't resolve the small leak at the pan let me know and we could always look into the problem for you
Old 09-11-2008, 10:11 AM
10 Second Club

Will do. I haven't noticed anything else leaking so I am hoping it is just the simple leak by the fitting. The smoke coming out from the car is what concerns me most. It is very noticeable, especially at a stop light. We'll see how it goes after Saturday. If it is still an issue I'll be giving you guys a call. Thanks Larry!
Old 09-11-2008, 11:04 AM

my car smokes like that also, especially after a hard run... the other thing i have is the driver side breather dripps on the downpipe... no biggie
Old 09-11-2008, 02:48 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by FANTAZ28
my car smokes like that also, especially after a hard run... the other thing i have is the driver side breather dripps on the downpipe... no biggie
To the point it sucks trying to breath in the car? I hope this isn't normal, I'll never get the wife back into the car
Old 10-03-2008, 09:05 PM
10 Second Club

Well, it appears they are two separate issues. The leaking isn't an issue but I believe the smoke is coming out of the driver side exhaust. It appears much thicker than the passenger side so I went and looked at the turbo and I'm not sure but it looks like there is some oil coming from the hot side. Could this be what is causing so much smoke? It get's unbearable right after start up. Here are some pics so let me know what you guys think or if there is something else I should be checking.

These two are the driver side turbo. The arrows point to where the turbo appeared to leak some.

This is the passenger side for comparison.

Pics were taken 10 mins after running the car. Any help or suggestions would be great. The whole set up has less than 400 miles on it and has been to the track once making 4 passes. So I hope it isn't shot already.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How big is the drain? And are the bolts tight to spec? I seen turbos smoke because of bad drains. That looks like its filling up in the turbo and not draining fast enough. Does the wheel spin freely?
Old 10-03-2008, 11:36 PM
10 Second Club

Didn't check the wheel tonight but the drain is a -10. Both sides are identical but no issues with the passenger side. Spin freely by hand or running? I will check the wheel in the morning as it is to late to start it up. Neighbors would have a **** fit What am I looking at if it won't spin freely?
Old 10-04-2008, 02:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by HAMRHEAD
Didn't check the wheel tonight but the drain is a -10. Both sides are identical but no issues with the passenger side. Spin freely by hand or running? I will check the wheel in the morning as it is to late to start it up. Neighbors would have a **** fit What am I looking at if it won't spin freely?
Both check by hand and start it. If its not spinning freely it may be bad and need a rebuild. But if it is then your problem is beyond me. The drain sounds big enough are they Y in to each other or have a seprate return.
Old 10-04-2008, 02:44 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,089 Likes on 717 Posts

Post up your combo, I was trying to look it up but FQuick was loading slow.
Old 10-04-2008, 05:59 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by OUTLAWZ RACING
Both check by hand and start it. If its not spinning freely it may be bad and need a rebuild. But if it is then your problem is beyond me. The drain sounds big enough are they Y in to each other or have a seprate return.
Well, the turbo spins freely by hand and by running it. Which I guess is a good thing although I still don't know wtf the problem is. The drain lines do not y they run separately.
Old 10-04-2008, 06:05 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Post up your combo, I was trying to look it up but FQuick was loading slow.
It is a Speed inc setup with twin precision 67's. I read what happened to yours as well. Is this something that has just been happening with the precision units? Not trying to bad mouth them but just trying to figure out what might be happening. This sport is expensive enough without these kind of things happening.

My gauge shows 25 - 30 psi of oil pressure too. I know Speed had to send one of the turbos back during the install because it was a bad turbo so all of these things make me wonder if the older units were having issues and they fixed it on the newer ones. I know precision is a solid performer so that makes it even more confusing.
Old 10-05-2008, 01:33 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by HAMRHEAD
Well, the turbo spins freely by hand and by running it. Which I guess is a good thing although I still don't know wtf the problem is. The drain lines do not y they run separately.
Man Im lost on this one maby dr turbo can chime in?
Old 10-05-2008, 09:09 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,089 Likes on 717 Posts

A -12 drain, and sometimes using a restrictor was suggested by one longtime builder. The suggestion was to measure the oil psi and then if it's high to run a restrictor. It was suggested to get base oil pressure between 10-15psi. All do this all with the next build.

As far as where yours is leaking, I'd figure it out and not drive it until you do, otherwise you could shell a turbo.
Old 10-05-2008, 11:20 AM
10 Second Club

Yeah I won't be driving it as I would get pulled over anyway from all the smoke!! If it is as simple as a new drain line and restrictor I would be happy. Yet I thought Precision liked the turbos to see the same PSI as the engine?
Old 10-05-2008, 11:21 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by OUTLAWZ RACING
Man Im lost on this one maby dr turbo can chime in?
Agreed, Calling Dr. Turbo!!!
Old 10-07-2008, 12:33 AM
10 Second Club

Anyone else???
Old 10-10-2008, 09:26 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you post a video of the smoke coming out of the breathers? If for some reason the engine is damaged excessive crankcase pressure would cause a drainback problem for the turbos.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:26 PM
10 Second Club

Here's some video but the quality is pretty poor.

The engine bay:

This is under the car and all the smoke is from the driver side pipe:

This is what it looks like from behind the car:

Everything was filmed from start up to about 2 mins of running.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:44 AM
10 Second Club

Maybe I should just sell the damn thing

Quick Reply: Need help with oil issue!!!