Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

driveshaft loop

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 01:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default driveshaft loop

got a bit of a newbie question here. how does a drive shaft loop function exactly? i know it is suppose to keep the driveshaft from flopping around or sticking into the ground if something breaks but:

1) does the ujoint at the rear end usually break first? if so it would seem that the loop is mounted to far forward to keep it from banging around.

2) if the shaft twists and bends i would think that would rip any driveshaft loop right off the mounts

3) should there be a loop fabbed up near the rear end also?

4) what is the typical diameter of the off the shelf loops? are they designed for a stock driveshaft or more appropriate for after market?
Old 09-12-2008, 02:08 PM
TECH Addict

A ds loop is just a precaution. it wont stop any damage from happening as youve pointed out. just helps to minimize it. ds loop generally have some room, they arent real tight on the ds. how big of a ds were you gonna run??
Old 09-12-2008, 02:37 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Hello, the main purpose of a drive shaft loop is to keep the drive shaft is to protect the driver and car from damage in case of u-joint or drive shaft breakage. If the front u joint fails you run the risk of the broken shaft sticking into the ground and flipping the car. Usually if the rear u joint breaks it does damage to the underside of the vehicle but is less likely to flip the car over. Our safety loop is nhra approved and does not require any drilling to install. It will fit a 3.5" drive shaft. I will post you a link to our site.
http://www.bmrfabrication.com/F-bodyChassis.htm
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 09-12-2008, 02:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

i'll be upgrading to a 9" and pst drive shaft next year (3.5"?). however, with my dual 3" exhaust i think i'll need to fab up my own loop. just was wondering if dual loops would be worth it, and where most failures are seen regarding the drive shaft system.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:44 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Most of the failures are the front u joint. If it fails it will do the most damage. When you get ready for that 3.5" driveshaft give us a call, our prices are very competitive.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!

Quick Reply: driveshaft loop