Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Not doing good guys, think i'm done for the year!

Old 09-12-2008, 05:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Not doing good guys, think i'm done for the year!

Sad but most likely true. I will not even be able to attempt for the 10.9x run NA with the stock 346 H/C/I 6spd. I took the car to the track wednesday nite for some warm up passes to start getting acclamated to the car and shifting again since I haven't had the car to the track since April. Well the car felt strong after a plug change,oil change, cleaned MAF electrodes,raised suspension for better launch weight transfer, changed the clutch fluid (just reservoir),cleaned the air filter. I took it out and on the way down I hit on the car twice and she felt really good IMO. So i go down let the car sit for maybe 30-40min's and go to pull up to the line and find out my line lock quit working and hoping thats just something simple. I pull up do a ok burnout but due to making me sit idling the car warmed up to 189deg's before the launch. I do my launch at 5000rpm and the car pulls out but i can tell somethings not right and go to shift to 2nd and can't get it in. I realize the clutch was hazing on the launch and wouldn't let it go into the next gear. I got it into gear and kept into it anyways just due to Fran96SS was logging it for me. THANKS FRAN So pissed as can be with my lovely 11.6 at 122mph with a 1.59 60ft I let the car sit for over a hour and check the fluid all is good there. Clutch didnt smell even right after the previous launch. So I pull up and do a minimul burnout and see if i can get the tires to spin so I can atleast make a full pass and get down the track. I do a small burnout and pull up to the line. I launch the car at nearly 5800rpm and the car feels like it spins but once again the clutch feels weird, not sinking to the floor but I can't get it into 2nd gear again. I believe the clutch was slipping and not letting the next shift happen. That run I aborted and showed a 60ft of 1.99 so not sure whats going on there. I can't afford to put a clutch in the car again and let alone the time. I have 85passes on this clutch and yes they are hard passes but i really didnt see how or why the clutch was going to give up already. I change the fluid more then gas in the car, almost always give the clutch cool down time with street miles to remove any glaze for the track runs. So regretfully I honestly think I wont be able to run the car until next year now with this recent find. I may just do the motor and clutch replacement but not sure what clutch to do. Oh well there it is guys sorry

4.10's, textralia, TSP/PRC,Ported Fast 90/90LS2TB,MS3 cam,1 3/4 Kooks LT's, SLP POYourneigbor edition catback, 18Chrome Z06/Weld draglites all around Faster than NICKOLBAG!
http://www.reidonly.net/banners/banner-fartpipe.jpg
Old 09-12-2008, 09:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn. I've been rooting for your 10.9 pass. good luck.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:52 AM
Banned

man.... sounds like dejavu....

I hated my twin turbo Firehawk when it came to dealing with the continual "issues."

Sorry to hear about your clutch, I just had to change mine on the Zo6.... and might as well refresh the tranny.... and might as well reseal the leaking diff.... and
Old 09-13-2008, 10:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

mcleod? thats is the clutch to go with from what i hear. Good luck
Old 09-13-2008, 01:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sucks that we won't be able to see you hit the n/a 10.9xx run. I was betting on your success. For what its worth I love my Exedy twin plate. Not too sure if its the right clutch for the strip but I know she grabs very well.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my clutch started sticking on my first pass on my heads,cam setup. Never did on any WOT on the street but as soon as i hit the track it stuck to the floor i know your pain somewhat i guess sucks to hear, i was waiting to see if ya hit the 10's too maybe next year. I gotta reclutch my Vette this year i know that for sure
Old 09-14-2008, 03:22 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
That sucks that we won't be able to see you hit the n/a 10.9xx run. I was betting on your success. For what its worth I love my Exedy twin plate. Not too sure if its the right clutch for the strip but I know she grabs very well.
I have the Exedy twin aswell and love it, easy to drive and grabs really well. Good luck on getting it fixed.
Old 09-14-2008, 05:19 PM
12 Second Club

Sorry Bruce that sucks

Nando
Old 09-16-2008, 02:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is done to rear end? Just curious.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SPRAYED 01
What is done to rear end? Just curious.
I have a built Rear diff with 4.10s, with hardended driverside output shaft, DTE trans diff brace and RPM billet rear diff cover and 2 support rods to the transmission.
Old 09-17-2008, 02:01 AM
10 Second Club

Unhappy

Hang in there Bruce.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:20 AM
TECH Addict

MOTOR and clutch Bruce ???? More info on that please !!

Pitt
Old 09-18-2008, 10:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Are you running a stock or built trans ?

It seems to me that you are pretty hard on a clutch with 5K + take-offs.

Maybe you need a twin clutch, like the McLeod that some of the guys use. They are rebuildable for about $400.

Also do you have a remote bleeder installed ?

Sorry to hear of your woes, but they got be expected if you run your car hard.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm running a stock C6 MM6 transmission in my car. My last trans I didnt really "Hurt" per say I knocked the shifting fork pads off making it not shift smooth into 4th gear. Didnt mess up any syncro's,gears,slides etc. That transmission had 97K miles on it I agree the high RPM launchs are tough on the car. I was looking to have around 150 passes on the clutch before having to think about replacing it. How the hell does Ranger make so many passes on a "STOCK" clutch I change my fluid probably more then him lol!!!! I do not have a remote bleeder. I'm keeping my eye on the "TICK" performance adjustable master results. I've been chaning the reservoir out frequently with Wilwood clutch fluid to get rid of the Valvoline synthetic brake fluid i put in. I'll street drive the car more and make another visit down to the track to see what happens.

Pittman, if the clutch comes out i'm possibly going to do a motor aswell. I posted up mentioning if a sponsor want to get some nice advertisement helping with a clutch in the car with no real good feedback yet.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:36 PM
Teching In

I'm sure you covered this but thought I would throw it out there, hows the torque tube? A bad bushing can mimick a clutch problem sometimes. Just food for thought, best of luck to you.

Peace

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Not doing good guys, think i'm done for the year!