LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Will it run?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 07:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Will it run?

Well I don't have the car put back together yet as waiting on the clutch.

Any case, if I decide to get a dynotune will the car be drivable with the hot cam and 36# injectors? Or is driving about a hour and 45 minutes unadvisable?
Should I even attempt to start it, or are the injectors going to throw it off by a lot?

I suppose my other route is to mail order tune now, and just hit the dyno once I have the nitrous installed, but that's way down the road, as I don't want to start my install til I have a bottle opener and NANO.

I know its beaten to death, but on the mail order tune side, who has the best price currently, and who is most likely to be very close on the tune, as I don't really feel like killing this motor right after I put it in?
Old 09-13-2008, 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if its just a hotcam you will be more than fine..I am running a cam similar to it and ran it for a month or two before getting it tuned...ran much better afterwards but you should be fine...

as for the injectors I dont THINK the injectors would throw it off that much but I have not researched the issue much...although I need to upgrade mine as I am running 98% duty cycle at WOT...

pcmforless is arguably the best place for a mail order tune
Old 09-13-2008, 10:51 AM
12 Second Club

why cant u just change ur injectors out when u get to the shop? i know if a few local guys that have been running without a tune on their hotcam swap for 4 months lol
Old 09-13-2008, 11:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you do go with a mail order, I'd say go with Ion @ MadZ28. Haven't heard a complaint about his tunes yet.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tspence45
If you do go with a mail order, I'd say go with Ion @ MadZ28. Haven't heard a complaint about his tunes yet.
I'll second this. Use Ion and get a mail order tune. You know the saying, better safe then sorry.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:17 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 3pnt4maro

as for the injectors I dont THINK the injectors would throw it off that much but I have not researched the issue much...although I need to upgrade mine as I am running 98% duty cycle at WOT...
he would be overly rich, foul plugs, and possibly wash out the rings/cylinder walls.

Originally Posted by BIG_T
why cant u just change ur injectors out when u get to the shop?

That is waht I have done anytime that i had to get a re tune due to an injector change.

You will be able to drive the car with the hot cam and stock injectors until it is tuned.
Old 09-13-2008, 04:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

36lbs injectors on a 24lbs tune will destroy the engine in fairly short order. Actually I think that would be rich enough to detonate it to death before the cylinder washdown and fuel dilution of the oil would have time to kill it.

If you have time to let it cool an hour or so at the shop before the dyno time then do them at the shop. Just make sure the engine is cooled down a good bit. We don't want a post about how when you tried to change the injectors gas dripped somewhere hot and you got hurt.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Yeah thanks everyone, I will probably just mail order tune now, and dynotune once the nitrous is all in. I think Revxtreme would just be a retune if I dyno'd it now and then later for the nitrous, but I would still be paying twice, even if not the same amount, and I might be wrong on that account.

Looks like I'll mail order tune for now then, whats the going rate over at Madz28?

I knew the cam itself wasn't going to be a big issue if untuned, but the injectors had me freaked out.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:26 PM
11 Second Club

Why not just get the guy who will dyno tune in a spare pcm and swap it in when you do the mods. No sense paying twice. Sure most tuners would give you a mailorder and apply that money towards a dyno tune a week later when you get the car to him.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Well I'm going to have to call and see what a dynotune would run now, and then a retune later on for the nitrous. If its a significant difference, then I def. should just mail order tune at the moment. Financially I know I won't do the nitrous install for a long time, as I still want a opener, NANO, and the A/F shutoff switch.

If a mail order tune can get me close, for half the cost if not better than a dyno tune, then I figure I should go that route and then dynotune only once. I don't think having a second PCM with a nitrous tune in it is a good idea, when to me it seems nitrous is fairly picky about timing and such.

Guess I have to make a phone call and see what they say.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:21 AM
11 Second Club

Some tuners can get very close on a mailorder tune IF you are very good about giving him the info he needs.

IMO this obsession with dyno tuning is overrated. Many dynos are VERY different from the load the car places on the engine and even with the dynos that are capable of more closely simulating the load it is still dependant on setup.

Either way I would try and just use one tuner because there is a good chance he will give you some credit towards the dyno tune if youu go that route.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Yeah well looking over at madtuners website, it says a email tune is only $75. I have one of AKM's cables, but to load the tune do I need tunercats or something? It's def. going to get mail order/email order tuned at this point, whether I send in the PCM or email, its about 2/3rds cheaper than a dyno, and well I'm going to need funds for exhaust.
Old 09-14-2008, 12:46 PM
On The Tree

i mailed in mine and i had no problem it will run better when you tune it in the car but if you wanna have an idea how you car runs mail it in

Quick Reply: Will it run?